Ancient Harvest, Quinoa, Inca Red, 12 oz (340 g)
Buy 2+Save 5%
- You earn loyalty credit for every order you place at iHerb!
- Loyalty credit is equal to 10% of the value of your order, excluding shipping charges.
- Your loyalty credit will be applied towards your next order as soon as your current order has shipped.
- Your loyalty credits are valid for up to 60 days from the date of your last purchase.
This product is already in your Wish List.
View Wish List
This product is now in your Wish List.
|Combo Discount:||- $5.00|
- Highest in Protein of All Grains
- Wheat Free
- Gluten Free
- Cooks in 15 Minutes
- Pre Washed
- No Rinsing!
- 100% Whole Grain
- Heirloom Variety
- USDA Organic
A New Quinoa with Ancient Roots
Thirty years ago, the Quinoa Corporation re-introduced the grain Quinoa (pronounced keen-wa) to the world. this important grain has ancient origins, dating back over five thousand years to the vast and might Inca civilization of South America.
Today, we are pleased to introduce another ancient variety - Inca Red Quinoa. Working with local indigenous farming communities in the altiplano highlands of the Andes mountains, the Quinoa Corporation has "re-discovered" and helped recover this ancient and almost extinct Pasankalla variety of red Quinoa.
With its impressive red and burgundy coloring; its unique appearance and texture; and its marvelous flavor, we are sure our Inca Red Quinoa will become a welcome addition in modern kitchens around the world.
Quinoa was so important to the Inca culture, they referred to it as the Mother Grain. We call it the "Supergrain of the Future" because of its unique qualities.
- Quinoa contains more high quality protein than any other grain. Leading scientists agree it is "one of the best sources of protein in the vegetable kingdom."
- Quinoa stands alone as a complete protein grain. It provides all the essential amino acids in a balanced pattern, close to the ideal set by the United Nations Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO).
- Quinoa contains no gluten. This makes quinoa the perfect food for people who follow a wheat-free/gluten-free diet.
- Quinoa is light, tasty and easy to digest. this delicate grain is much less filling than most other grains and pasta, and has a delicious nutty flavor all its own.
- Quinoa is quick and easy to prepare. Perfect for today's active lifestyle, quinoa can be served as a side dish; in soups; in salads; as a pilaf; even as a nutritious breakfast cereal.
Basic Cooking Instructions
Place 1 cup red quinoa and 2 cups water in a 1 1/2 quart saucepan and bring to a boil. reduce to simmer, cover and cook until all water is absorbed (about 15 minutes). When done, the grain appears soft and the red becomes translucent. the germ ring will be visible along the outside edge of the grain.
To prepare in a rice cooker, simply treat quinoa like rice. Add two parts water to one part quinoa, stir, cover, and when the cooker shuts off, the quinoa is done.
For additional flavor, substitute chicken broth or vegetable stock for the water.
Organic whole grain quinoa (pasankalla variety)
|Serving Size: 1/4 Cup Dry (48 g)|
|Servings Per Container: 7|
|Amount Per Serving||% Daily Value**|
|Calories from Fat||28|
|Total Fat||3 g||4%|
|Saturated Fat||0 g||0%|
|Dietary Fiber||6 g||23%|
|** Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
† Daily Value not established.
|Total Fat||Less than||65 g||80 g|
|Sat Fat||Less than||20g||25 g|
|Cholesterol||Less than||300 mg||300 mg|
|Sodium||Less than||2,400 mg||2,400 mg|
|Total Carbohydrates||300 g||375 g|
|Fiber||25 g||30 g|
|Calories per gram:
Fat 9 • Carbohydrate 4 • Protein 4