Frontier Natural Products, Organic, Cayenne, Ground, 1.70 oz (48 g)
- You earn loyalty credit for every order you place at iHerb!
- Loyalty credit is equal to 5% of the value of your order, excluding shipping charges.
- Your loyalty credit will be applied towards your next order as soon as your current order has shipped.
- Your loyalty credits are valid for up to 60 days from the date of your last purchase.
|Combo Discount:||- $2.49|
- USDA Organic
- Non GMO Project Verified
- Freshness Dated
- Certified Organic by QAI
This colorful, ground chili pepper will turn up the heat and color in your cooking. Use it in favorite ethnic recipes, or sprinkle it on at the table whenever a dish needs extra zip.
Botanical name: Capsicum annuum L. var. annuum, Capsicum annuum
The term "cayenne" is often used to refer to any ground pepper, but true cayenne (which takes its name from the French Guinea city of Cayenne) is actually a particular type of chili pepper--about four to 12 inches long, thin, and very pungent.
Like other chili peppers, cayenne belongs to the genus Capsicum, a member of the nightshade (Solanaceae) family. Cayenne--and most other hot and sweet peppers grown in the U.S.--is Capsicum annuum, while Capsicum frutescens produces the small, thin-skinned pepper from which Tabasco sauce is made. The name capsicum may have been derived from the Latin capsa for "box" (the pepper is mostly a hollow, box-like fruit), or the Greek kapto, "to bite."
Technically, chili peppers are a fruit; once dried they are correctly considered a spice.
An annual, herbaceous plant, the personality of Capsicum annuum depends a great deal on the neighborhood in which it grows up. A hot, dry environment, for example, produces the hottest chilies, while milder ones are produced in cooler, wetter climates. Even the same variety of pepper will differ, depending upon its locale.
Cayenne adds color and flavor to Southwestern salsas, Indian chutneys, Thai curries, Mexican enchiladas, Chinese stir-fries, Texan chili con carnes, Cajun hot sauce, and many other recipes. Cayenne provides an easy way to perk up stir-fries, soups, stews, grain, meat or vegetable recipes--just about any savory dish.
If you like kick in your recipes, you'll find cayenne indispensable. A few tips:
- If you're not used to cooking with chili peppers--even the ground variety--start with very small amounts. Don't use a literal "pinch," though, because you don't want to get it on your fingers! (If you do get it on your fingers, then wash them right away; don't put them near your eyes or nose!)
- Keep in mind that dishes containing chili pepper often get hotter as they sit or are stored. So err on the side of using less. (You can always add more at the table, if you prefer a hotter dish.)
- If you get too much heat in a dish, eat or drink dairy products like milk or yogurt to neutralize the burning--capsaicin isn't water soluble, so water won't do the trick. Starches like rice or bread sometimes help, too.
Chili peppers can be irritating to eyes and skin. Use caution when handling.
|Serving Size: 1/4 tsp (0.6 g)|
|Serving Per Container: 80|
|Amount Per Serving||% DV|
|Total Fat||0 g||0%|
|Total Carb.||0 g||0%|
|Not a significant source of fat cal., sat. fat, trans fat, cholest., fiber, sugars, vitamin C, calcium and iron.
Percent Daily Values (DV) are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.
Excellent for your Gums
Excellent for your Gums
Very good - price is good, it's organic & in a glass jar instead of plastic. Couldn't ask for better. We sprinkle a little on our toothpaste and brush with it. It is great for your gums and oral health. Love the warm feeling in your mouth after brushing too. If you try this, start small, just a little and build up to the amount you like.
Posted by Reviewer1901447 on Aug 21, 2016
This is a very good yummy spicy product. Smells and tastes clean.
Goodness in a neat bottle
Posted by barbaralinalei on May 17, 2016
My kitchen partner this life
Fresh ground pepper
Posted by 5755105577782877404 on Jun 16, 2014
Good packaging and fresh product inside.
Posted by 5535095085616573270 on Nov 22, 2013
This cayenne pepper is really working. If you put too much in the sauce, it will really burn. With just the right amount, the sauce will be perfect. And it has a good taste.