Life Extension, SAM-e (S-Adenosyl-L-Methionine), 200 mg, 20 Enteric Coated Tablets (Discontinued Item)
You purchased this item onView this order
- You earn loyalty credit for every order you place at iHerb!
- Loyalty credit is equal to 10% of the value of your order, excluding shipping charges.
- Your loyalty credit will be applied towards your next order as soon as your current order has shipped.
- Your loyalty credits are valid for up to 60 days from the date of your last purchase.
- Supports Healthy Bones, Joints, and Emotional Well-Being
- Dietary Supplement
SAMe (S-adenosyl-methionine) is an amino acid derivative normally synthesized in the body. SAMe is used by the body in three important pathways:
- Methylation (contributing methyl groups to activate certain molecules)
- The synthesis of polyamines (for cell growth, gene expression, neuronal regeneration, etc.)
- Trans-sulfuration (synthesis of cysteine, glutathione, and other sulfate chemicals)
SAMe occurs naturally in the body. It is concentrated in the liver and brain and is a major methyl donor in the synthesis of hormones, nucleic acids, proteins, and phospholipids, catecholamines, and other neurotransmitters, such as dopamine and serotonin. SAMe is required for the synthesis of norepinephrine, dopamine, and serotonin, and also plays a role in other intracellular metabolic pathways. SAMe facilitates glutathione usage and maintains acetylcholine levels, which help enhance or maintain cognitive function and attenuate or prevent aggression of aging and neurodegeneration.
SAMe levels may become depleted from sickness and age. Supplementation with the co-factors — folate, trimethylglycine (TMG or betaine), vitamins B6 and B12, together with SAMe — appears to be an effective method to overcome this deficiency. There is evidence that SAMe helps to synthesize phosphatidylcholine, which keeps cell membranes fluid, and is used in the brain to make the neurotransmitter acetylcholine.
In 2002, an agency of the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services conducted a meticulous evaluation of SAMe. Its findings show the efficacy of SAMe in helping to maintain stable mood and joint function without any side effects. Since aging people often suffer joint discomfort and immobilization, SAMe addresses multiple problems people face as they grow older. In addition, SAMe has multiple mechanisms of action that are used throughout the body, especially in the liver, which help maintain liver health. SAMe facilitates healthy methylation enzymatic processes and boosts hepatic levels of the critical antioxidant glutathione. When liver function is compromised, glutathione is depleted, which leads to free radical damage.
Take (two) 2 tablets two to three times daily in divided doses, preferably on an empty stomach, or as recommended by a healthcare practitioner. Take with co-factors vitamins B12, B6, and folic acid.
Cellulose, mannitol, hydroxypropyl methylcellulose phthalate, citric acid, stearic acid, silica, glyceryl triacetate, sodium starch glycolate, croscarmellose sodium, titanium dioxide, yellow ochre.
Caution: SAMe should not be taken by those diagnosed with bipolar disorder.
- Keep out of reach of children.
- Do not exceed recommended dose.
- Do not purchase if outer seal is broken or damaged.
- When using nutritional supplements, please consult with your physician if you are undergoing treatment for a medical condition or if you are pregnant or lactating.
Store in a cool, dry place.
|Serving Size: Two tablets|
|Servings per container: 10|
|Amount Per Serving||% Daily Value|
|**Daily value not established.|