Testmedica, Home Tests, pH Check, Acid Balance Monitor, 50 Strips (Discontinued Item)
- Shipping Weight: 0.43 lbs (0.2kg)
- Product Code: TMD-82000
- UPC Code: 818136820009
- Package Quantity: 50 Strips
- Dimensions: 2.4 x 3.3 x 5.5 in, 0.1 lbs (0.05kg)
- pH Monitor *
*Tests and test results are for informational purposes only and are not intended to monitor, treat to diagnose any disease. Only your physician can diagnose disease. If results are unexpected, contact your health care provider.
What is pH Monitor?
This test indicates the acid or alkaline content of urine (pH) by measuring the concentration of hydrogen ions. On a scale of 1-10, 7 represents neutrality, lower numbers indicate increasing acidity and higher numbers increasing alkalinity. Each unit of change represents a tenfold change i acidity or alkalinity. The pH of urine can range from an extremely unhealthy low of 4.5 to a high of 8.5.
Why Monitor pH Levels?
Persistent alkaline urine (pH7-8) may be indicative of urinary tract infection, vegetarian diet, alkalosis, pyloric stenosis/obstruction, vomiting or alkalizing drugs. Persistent acid urine (pH5-7) may be indicative of gout, fever, phenacetin intake or predisposition to kidney stones. In a pH balanced body, urine is slightly acid in the morning (after fasting), with a pH range of 6.5-7.0, generally becoming more alkaline, pH=7.5=8.0 by evening as the body digests food and releases electrolytes.
The normal pH range in urine:
- Dip reagent end of strip in Fresh, well mixed urine and remove immediately. (Or, wet reagent area by passing through the urine stream.)
- While removing, run the edge of the strip against the rim of the urine container to remove excess urine.
- Compare the test area with the color chart on the bottle at the time specified (60 seconds). Do not use the chart of the back of this box.