Alaffia, Skin Renewal Face Cream, Baobab & Shea Butter, 2.3 oz (68 ml) (Discontinued Item)

Great ingredients, but didn't like the consistency

Posted by Reviewer2778088 on May 31, 2011

it's not emollient enough - it's kind of waxy and feels like too much stearic acid - honestly I don't understand why they put so much stearic acid in it - it is actually listed before the baobab oil so I guess it's more stearic acid in it than the main ingredients (at least according to the name of the cream). Actually I don't understand why they put stearic acid at all in a cream with so much butters - all the butters have much stearic acid themselves (that's one of the contents that makes them thicker than normal liquid oils). I was very eager to try this brand as it seems such a positive business (and that's why I give them 3 stars), but to me the feel of a cream is very important - so I'm very disappointed. It's too thick for bootle too - and the bottle is glass so you can't even squeeze it - I had to liquify it and transfer it to a jar to be able to use it at all. I wonder what I'm going to try next to replace the wonderful moisturizer form the Healing Seeds that iHerb discontinued, and I cannot understand why. - it's the best natural facial cream I've tried, and it was sold out all the time... UPDATE: I've been using this together with 2-3 drops of my facial oil (apricot, rose hips, sea buckthorn etc) every day for a 2-3 weeks now and my skin loves it - in this way the thick waxy feeling is thinned out to a thin sealing coat that just feels right and my skin feels very smooth and tight. I use it all over - on my eyes, neck etc. So it's definitely good ingredients - rising with one star - but still - the consistency is not suitable for the container it's presented in - and the consistency all over is not good enough. (cut the stearic acid and maybe add a tiny bit lecithin and put it in a jar)

I don't need to "smell" mature too!

Posted by Reviewer2499807 on Dec 31, 2011

I have sensitive, dry skin and thought the ingredients list looked acceptable. After trying the product once, I can say I did not break out. In Alaffia's defense, I am super sensitive to artificial fragrance and fairly sensitive to natural fragrances. However, this smells like Miss Havisham's house. I assume it is the rose geranium essential oil which gives this cream an old decaying roses scent. (*shudder*) Luckily, it does wash off fairly quickly with a good soap. Unfortunately, the scent does linger on the skin where it is placed, and I would not be able to stand it near my nose for long. I'm either going to use it on my legs (but then my pants and sheets might smell), give it to someone who likes the scent of old decaying roses, or trash it. It obviously is not for me.

Love it

Posted by 4791808628377260010 on Feb 12, 2013

Consistent is light and maybe too liquid but moisturizes very well. Even in cold winter wether conditions.