Bergin Fruit and Nut Company, Organic Medjool Dates, 14 oz (397 g)

warning : some may be contaminated by Black Scorch disease

Posted by Reviewer1146718 on Aug 13, 2012

I LOVED this dates. This was my second purchase, because I'd been very satisfied with the first one. But a horrible thing happened this morning, while I was driving to my office chewing some dates from this bag. Without seeing, I picked up my second date from the bag, And after the first chew, I smelled this weird stench. I thought it must have been from the outside odor. But on my second chew, it suddenly popped and fumed out a little black cloud of powder – it was a powder of black fungus. I threw the date out of my car window and checked myself on the mirror. There were grains of black powder (fungus) all over me. Around my lips, on my face, neck and my white shirt. I wiped them out with wet tissue, so now they are seemingly gone now, but I’ll be forever disgusted. I googled what it was; it was called black scorch disease. They say it can be identified easily because it contaminates stems, leaves – not only the fruit itself. For me, collecting & putting these infected date palms into the bags and selling them, even they saw the disease all over the date palm trees, it is totally unacceptable. I’m really disappointed with this product and their quality control. If you want to buy these date palms, carefully watch what you’re eating, before you put them into your mouth unless you want to taste the powder of fungus.

Won't buy again

Posted by LantauMama on Apr 09, 2013

Maybe it is the non-airtight bags, but I have had bad luck with these dates - very dry, stringy and some have what I think is mold. No other dates (from other brands) I have had are like these. As a result, I no longer buy these, and buy dates locally instead.

Delicious but very small bag!

Posted by PurplePegasus on Jan 02, 2014

These dates are delicious. The Medjool is the kind that melts in your mouth. (The other is Deglet Noor, and those are always pitted because those dates are hard). These are soft and chewy. Unfortunately, they are quite pricey and there aren't too many in the bag, plus Medjool dates are not pitted because it would be an impossible mess to try to remove pits so there's even less per weight than 14 oz, when you factor in all the pits. Thankfully, these are so soft, there's no danger of biting into the pit when being careful unlike the Deglet Noor, which always leaves pitts in their "pitted" dates anyways. I saw the negative top review and at first it prevented me from buying. But then I thought about it: the reviewer lives in Asia and purchased in the middle of scorching summer: I seriously doubt it had anything to do with that disease he mentions, his must simply arrived moldy, destroyed by heat in transit. A little common sense tells me to never buy organic foods (read: without chemical preservatives) in the summer (or hot weather, should I say here in California), because organic foods are highly perishable and very much heat-sensitive. There's no way I would buy these in hot weather now that the smart post means these would spend at least 3 nights stored in hot warehouses and 3 days traveling in over 100F weather! (When it's 80F outside, it reaches 100F in the back of a hot delivery truck, so I always keep that in mind for my perishables purchases). If ordering in summer, it's best to always use next day delivery. I recommend buying them now in the middle of winter but be advised, very small bag and they don't last: these are high sugar content, meaning highly addictive since they're delicious so it's very hard to eat just 2. Thankfully they have lots of nutrients but they're also very fattening. Otherwise the taste is excellent. The bag is very compact so they are bunched together but they detach without problems.

Best to date :)

Posted by Reviewer1523817 on Jul 13, 2012

The best date I've had. They have a special luxurious taste, splendid! As far as I'm aware, this is my first medjool date, so I can't compare though. Update: Did compare to some local store bought medjool's. The local ones where not as good, kind of daft compared to these.

Heavenly Dates

Posted by Reviewer2054091 on Sep 08, 2013

I thought the price on this package was pretty high. Until I tasted them. If you love dates as I do, you won't mind the extra cost. They're that good.