Diva International, The Diva Cup, Model 1, 1 Menstrual Cup

Great concept, impractical use for smaller women

Posted by Reviewer1032519 From Canada on Aug 20, 2010

I was thrilled to pieces to find an alternative option to pads and tampons when I first came across the idea of a menstrual cup. After researching the pros and cons, I decided to purchase not one, but two. I thought that this would be most opportune in concerns to public washroom scenarios … and it would’ve been, if their use was not so uncomfortably awkward. After using the cup for about 6 hours, I tried to remove and empty it. This is where my problem began. My index finger and thumb would not fit inside of me. I could not squeeze to bottom of the cup to pop the suction and remove it. After trying multiple positions, pushing, baring down, foreign objects, etc. nothing worked. After trying desperately to remove the cup for about an hour with absolutely no success, I abashedly opted for the emergency room. Three hours and an awkward yet humorous discussion later, the cup was removed. With the decision made against a return visit the very next day, I opted to leave the cup with the nurse instead of taking it home with me. The other was donated to a friend who was interested in trying it, cleaned of course.

love it!

Posted by Reviewer2595043 From Massachusetts on Jun 04, 2008

Using this product is a fabulous way to be kind to the environment while having a comfortable and convenient period. It creates zero garbage, eliminates the need to carry around bulky sanitary supplies, requires less frequent changing, is completely comfortable, creates no panty lines, doesn't cause TSS, and doesn't leak! I wish I had discovered it years ago. I plan never to use tampons again.

Not for me

Posted by Reviewer1855230 on Dec 06, 2008

It's great that many have had success with the DivaCup, but unfortunately it just isn't for me. I followed the directions and practiced inserting it a few times. It was difficult to get the hang of the insertion process and once it was in, I could ALWAYS feel it in there. Despite trying repeatedly throughout my cycle it remained uncomfortable to wear. If that wasn't enough, removal was terrible. In the directions they tell you not to insert it too far, however my muscles always seem to pull it a little further in than I place the cup myself. So when trying to remove it I have to stick my fingers way up there and grab the stem with my nails... Usually I had to repeatedly attempt to pull the cup up since it wouldn't budge easily. And finally, when I finally would get it to the point where I almost had it out of me it would begin to HURT like CRAZY! TOn be honest, I felt like I was getting a small taste of what it feels like to give birth. Anyway, many I'm just oddly shaped or something, but this did NOT work for me. I'm currently trying out the Instead Softcups and I have high hopes for these. Way easier to insert than the DivaCup and I can't feel it at all. It's good to know that us women have options other than pad and tampons.

Diva goodness

Posted by Reviewer2541299 From Australia on Jun 07, 2008

This cup is great. It never leaked, was fairly easy to get a handle of, and I love the punch-down fold. A lot of suction...but you may want to trim the stem. Arrvied quickly to Australia~

I'm not a diva, but I like it anyway!

Posted by Reviewer2167879 From California on Aug 06, 2008

A tidy, pleasant, easy, and comfortable alternative to tampons and pads. I couldn't feel it in and only needed to take care of it two or three times a day. It took a couple of days to figure out how to put it in properly so it opened up the way it should, but once I got it, it was great! I can use it all by itself so there's no uncomfortable, hot, scratchy things in my pants bothering me, and it doesn't dry me out like a tampon would. One of the greatest benefits is that it eliminates gross garbage that piles up- I personally feel like all the disposable products are such a horrendous and unnecessary waste! And at iHerb, it's cheaper than buying all the stuff! Yes! I'm a professional backpacking guide and am tired of carrying all the stuff in and out of the backcountry with me, so I thought this would be worth trying. I have high hopes, though I haven't used it in the backcountry yet and wonder how cleaning it out properly will work... I'm working on making a plan.