amazing stuff!

Posted by Reviewer3135894 on Oct 20, 2008

took away that nagging desire to eat! And helped with my anxiety and depression. I've actually been able to focus and organize for the first time in ages. I've been on assorted meds for the past 15 years, and nothing has worked this well. I've been off all prescriptions for a month now, and I feel great. I feel like me again thanks to 5-htp, combined with rhodiola. Took some time to experiment with dosages, but I found that about 30mg of the 5-htp is plenty. 100mg made me sleep, a nice dreamy sleep, but I can't sleep all day, too much to do. Even taking it every other day works well. I've tried LOTS of supplements over the past year, nothing has had such a profound effect as this. And this is the 1st time I felt I needed to write a review, please try it!

Greatest against Depression!

Posted by Reviewer2664300 on Dec 06, 2007

I used Prozac for over 5 years and threw them out when I started using 5-HTP and never felt better. I'm 48 now and have been diagnosed with bi-polar since I was 8 years old.

Pick-me-up

Posted by Reviewer1032922 on Jan 08, 2012

This is even greater than I expected! I was suffering from a worse-than-usual case of SAD in November - a very dark, rainy, depressing time of year to live in the northernmost part of Europe. Darkness, depression, horrible relationship problems and a horrible break-up, stressed out because of study deadlines... after just one week of taking St. John's Wort plus 5-HTP, my general mood suddenly went from "devastated and morbid" to "cheery and upbeat", and has stayed there.

happy customer

Posted by LadyEnigma on Jul 03, 2016

I recommend this supplement wholeheartedly! I can't say enough great things about it. I very thoroughly researched different brands of 5-HTP and found that this brand was the best. The first reason I chose this brand was because they are one of the few brands to state that their product does not contain Peak X. Peak X is a toxin that is linked to the development of EMS in 1500+ consumers who were taking 5-HTP supplements back in the '90s. Luckily I had read a review from an awesome consumer who mentioned this in their review, so I want to inform others of this toxin so that more people will purchase safer health products. I also purchased this brand because of the really great reviews I found online, as well as the fact that this 5-HTP is gluten free and does not contain fillers or other unwanted ingredients. Now to the review: I started off by taking only half a capsule every night for a week (50 mg). I'd break open the capsule, pour the powder onto a little dish and put half under my tongue for about a minute before swallowing down with water, saving the other half of the powder for the next night. The first night I took this, very quickly I began to feel very calm and relaxed, literally as if I had taken a Xanax. It was a really awesome feeling. I slept amazingly well that night. I only felt that kind of high that one night, obviously because my brain was adjusting to the supplement. After a week, I upped my dose to a full capsule every night, about an hour before bed. I continued to break open the capsule and pour the powder under my tongue, hold for about a minute and swallow with water. The taste of the powder is really pleasant, unlike other supplements I decided to take sublingually. I've been taking this 5-HTP for about two months or so and the effects are still noticeable. About a half hour after I take this, I become relaxed, happy and sleepy but I do not feel like I'm drugged whatsoever. I can definitely see the different in my mood, appetite and sleeping patterns. I did have very vivid dreams when I started taking this supplement, and occasionally still do, but I've never had any nightmares at all on this stuff. I highly recommend this 5-HTP for anyone with sleep issues, weight concerns and/or mood imbalances. I plan to buy and use one more bottle before I take a break, since the recommended period of time to take this is about 12 weeks, although I'm not sure that prolonged use can cause adverse effects. Definitely do NOT take this product if you take any type of antidepressants or have Bipolar Disorder. If you do have an adverse reaction after taking 5-HTP, you may not have very low levels of serotonin, therefore you won't need this. If that is the case, look into taking Melatonin, for sleep, weight and mood imbalances. **If you find my review useful, click "YES" and see more useful info by clicking on my name.**

Say no to cronic and subclinical depression and MAO-inhibitors!

Posted by Reviewer18018967 on Jun 27, 2012

Just to think of the amount of people that go through life always feeling down and miserable. Blaming it all solely on life events and never really finding out it could all be caused by a chemical unbalance in the brain that when corrected can lead to a dramatic change in quality of life and happiness. There are several supplements that can help with that: St Johns Wort, Sam-E, and 5-htp. They are no lightweight players, they DO make a difference, and the best is there are no side effects! Dump the MAO- inhibitors and lift the dark clouds from your life by giving 5-htp a chance. I have recommended over and over again to friends, and have witnessed wonderful results in a matter of weeks when taken daily, and people have reported peaceful sleeping patterns, and significant improvement in mood, with no recurring depressions. What a God sent!!

Very unpleasant side effects

Posted by Reviewer1098988 on May 23, 2008

Although I have read how 5-HTP can have a very positive effect on ones mood and sleep, my experience has been very negative. It made me very depressed and negative after the second day of use and adjusting the dose made no difference. The side effects for some are just as bad as those of prescription antidepressants. I must say that I have weird reactions to any kind of antidepressant and neurotransmitter stimulants. So it's just me and not the quality of the product. However, if you are sensitive to things, then use with caution.

VIVID DREAMS

Posted by Kyriaki on Jan 12, 2013

If you know that you're a 'good dreamer' these would be lovely. If you're a person who knows their dreams are generally not happy and blissful BEWARE, you could wake up screaming. I stopped taking these immediately, so i cannot comment on the effect of taking these long-term.

Underwhelming Brand

Posted by Reviewer1105031 on Oct 23, 2009

I am very much sold on 5-HTP as a supplement for its many benefits (sleep and mood), however both my wife and I found this brand to be less effective than other brands. NOW and (especially) HEALTHY ORIGINS were noticeably more effective than this one.

It works, but made me more depressed the next day

Posted by Reviewer3125411 on Jun 08, 2009

Be careful with dosage. I am 115 pounds, and I think the 100mg is too much for me. It made me relaxed, but too drowsy. Then the next day I was crying and felt more depressed then I ever have. I then opened the capsule and took half then next day, but still felt too drowsy and more depressed the following day. Also had bad dreams on it.

Best 5-HTP

Posted by Reviewer3235166 on Jul 09, 2010

Kept me tired/falling asleep for the entire 4 day trial. Will not continue this product.