Not cutting it

Posted by Reviewer2357234 on Apr 04, 2012

UPDATE TO EARLIER REVIEW: I've had to go back on antidepressant after being on 5HTP. I thought it was working but in reality it was about 30% as good as my antidepressant. I started having suicidal thoughts, crying spells, waking in the night, unable to deal socially with people, apathy etc. etc. My morning anxiety was also through the roof. I had to be honest and admit these were not the wonder pills I wanted them to be. Please do not feel bad if you are a person like me who has to be on antidepressants. I've tried every natural alternative known to man. -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- I tried this after reading the great reviews. I had just had shocking withdrawals from Effexor after being on it for eight years - another story... Anyhow at first this didn't work well for me and I despaired thinking I would have to go back on an AD. I did not see quick results like most people. It has taken a good month and an increase in dose to see the same effect as Effexor which is pretty remarkable. I take 2 tablets per day, one a.m. one evening and I find this dose works for me. One a day was just barely getting me by and giving me good and bad days. You may need to experiment a bit and/or wait longer than just a few days to see results. Definitely happy that it's working now though as I have never wanted to be on ADs long term and this is a great natural alternative!

Does not work - Caused me sleepless nights !

Posted by 5736688796725479781 on Oct 14, 2013

I was taking this for my social anxiety disorder and generalized anxiety. I never had sleeping problems. I took two pills a day, one in the morning and one at night. I can guarantee you it was no placebo effect. I took it for 3 days, and for all those 3 days and nights, I did not have a restful sleep. It was doing the opposite of what it was recommended for. Its supposed to be a precursor to Serotonin, which becomes Melatonin that helps with sleep. But I do not know what went wrong. The moment I stopped taking them, that night itself I had a good sleep. Note: I also had slight nausea and stomach ache while taking it. NOT RECOMMENDED!

3-stars

Posted by noneofyourfrigginbusiness on Oct 20, 2015

Good product. I'd say more but I won't since nobody is paying me to review supplements.

Great for PMS

Posted by Reviewer1108612 on Mar 19, 2008

I take this with Now brand GABA, one each at night a few hours before I go to bed. I get really bad PMS and this past month, it wasn't so bad. I sleep better and I wasn't as anxious, mean, or weepy. I think next month the week before my period I will double up on both pills and then go back to the normal dosage after my period. Like I said it works because I wasn't as bad as I normally am. I'd like to not experiance any PMS symptoms so that's why I'll double up on week 3. We'll see if it works! Also, I sleep a lot better. One thing I should add is that I've been laying off the caffiene. Maybe it's just that or maybe it's the pills. Whatever it is, I'll continue to avoid the caffiene and I'll continue to take GABA with 5-HTP.

Wonderful

Posted by Reviewer2842231 on Oct 25, 2007

I use this supplement for many reasons including mood, calmness, weight loss, ect. This is also agreat valueand one of my favorite supplements.

Use for migraines

Posted by Reviewer1937326 on Feb 23, 2008

I have suffered from consistent monthly migraines and read about this product on a migraine page. I take it daily and I haven't been able to completely get rid of my headaches, but I have been able to cut them back and they do seem less intense. I also read that some people get an upset stomach when taking it, but I have not had that experience.

Works as stated

Posted by Bandia on Nov 24, 2006

I started taking 5-htp to help my insomnia, depression, & anxiety attacks after the death of my parents. I worked better than the anti-depressents & did not leave me with the drugged out hangover that the perscrition drugs did.

Excellent product

Posted by Reviewer2574712 on Dec 27, 2007

I have used other more expensive brands but this is just as good for half the price!

GREATLY EASED MY PAINS