• This is the D-Phenylalanine form, not DL, or L form.

• Customer Ratings

Good Product

Posted by 4766872620965520922 on Jun 09, 2015

I have previously been taking precription antidepressants for about 10 years and have now chosen to stop taking them. I take one of these D-Phelylalanine 500mg tablets in the afternoon and one Jarrow SAM-e 400 tablet in the morning. This combination works well for me. I do not know if one is supposed to take these two preparations together or not but I decided to try it for myself. I am way less tearfull and in a much better mood from day to day. I feel much more like my old self. I am very pleased with the result. iherb stock great products at really good prices and deliver to New Zealand promptly - I am a very happy customer.

Useful for emotional sensitivity and emotionally difficult times

Posted by 4871827516150754074 on Dec 08, 2013

I would have given this 5 stars, except for the fact that at 500mg it gives me this slight but annoying pressure headache and made it a little difficult to focus my eyes. At 250mg, it works best for me when I am going through an emotionally difficult time (DPA increases endorphins in your brain). It makes me much more emotionally at ease and much less bothered by whatever it is that is bothering me. I could see this as very useful for someone to take when they go through a relationship break-up or lose someone close to them. Just make sure you find the minimal dose that works for you. I open the capsule and pour half out then put the capsule back together and swallow it. I take it on an empty stomach and it works best that way. I also read that most studies have found DPA to be effective if taken every day at 100-200mg. So it seems kind of overkill to have these in 500mg capsules, although I'm sure for some people it is fine at that level. I first read about this in Dr. Priscilla Slagle's "The Way Up From Down" and then in Julia Ross's "The Mood Cure". They are both amazing books if you have depression and want a natural program that works even better than prescription medications. I have been following Slagle's basic program for two weeks now and haven't felt this good in years. Sorry for the rant.

Helps with emotions

Posted by 4652840633200499013 on Nov 28, 2013

I began to use it after reading the the Diet Cure. Helps deal with life giving emotional support chemical-wise.

No Effect

Posted by 4986875206183492129 on Mar 17, 2013

This supplement had no noticeable effects in my experience. For reference, I've taken it twice a day, everyday, between meals for 3 weeks.

Did not really evaluate it yet. It's coming.

Posted by Reviewer2170363 on Dec 26, 2012

Did not really evaluate it yet. It's coming.

Worst supplement I ever used

Posted by danarm on Dec 05, 2012

I started experimenting with both D-phenylalanine (DPA) and D,L-phenylalanine (DLPA) because I have read about them in "The Diet Cure" by Julia Ross. All the other advices in the book were very good and helped me a lot. But using DLPA or DPA proved to be catastrophic for me. In the beginning, DLPA and DPA (1 pill per day) gave me a pleasant feeling of relaxation. But afterwards I had horrible symptoms: horrible headaches, dizziness and hot flashes which went on for 2-3 days, in spite of the fact that I ceased taking them. I have tried using DLPA or DPA multiple times. Each time the symptoms above (horrible headache, dizzyness, feeling hot) manifested themselves. So, to me it is a horrible supplement, one of the worst experiences I had. DLPA and DPA had the same effect on me, so I'm posting the same text as reviews for both products that I used.

Maybe I didn't need it

Posted by Reviewer2644874 on Oct 04, 2012

I was delighted to find just D-Phenylalanine instead of the common mixture with L-Phenylalanine -- which give me a headache -- to just the D-Phenylalanine. I still get mild head pain from taking the D-Phen but it's bearable. Problem is I don't know if I need any Phenylalanine at all since it's purpose is to alleviate pain and it doesn't seem to have that effect on me. I still have some of the bottle because I don't like even mild head pain.

D-Phenylalanine

Posted by Reviewer1017899 on Apr 04, 2012

Feeling better and more energy

D-Phenylalanine

Posted by Reviewer1488008 on Mar 24, 2012

A very necessary enzyme to maintain health and general mental wellbeing.

Hard to find - I do like

Posted by Reviewer2238409 on Nov 10, 2011

I use this with 4 other supplements for my bipolar cocktail. Good for the brain. D- is very hard to find elsewhere. Got to love iherb!

« Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next »