• This is the D-Phenylalanine form, not DL, or L form.

• Customer Ratings

Useful for emotional sensitivity and emotionally difficult times

Posted by 4871827516150754074 on Dec 08, 2013

I would have given this 5 stars, except for the fact that at 500mg it gives me this slight but annoying pressure headache and made it a little difficult to focus my eyes. At 250mg, it works best for me when I am going through an emotionally difficult time (DPA increases endorphins in your brain). It makes me much more emotionally at ease and much less bothered by whatever it is that is bothering me. I could see this as very useful for someone to take when they go through a relationship break-up or lose someone close to them. Just make sure you find the minimal dose that works for you. I open the capsule and pour half out then put the capsule back together and swallow it. I take it on an empty stomach and it works best that way. I also read that most studies have found DPA to be effective if taken every day at 100-200mg. So it seems kind of overkill to have these in 500mg capsules, although I'm sure for some people it is fine at that level. I first read about this in Dr. Priscilla Slagle's "The Way Up From Down" and then in Julia Ross's "The Mood Cure". They are both amazing books if you have depression and want a natural program that works even better than prescription medications. I have been following Slagle's basic program for two weeks now and haven't felt this good in years. Sorry for the rant.

Helps anxiety, depression and pain

Posted by Reviewer2575097 on Aug 25, 2010

Some people have a deficiency of serotonin which causes depression and anxiety, but having an endorphin deficiency can also cause depression and anxiety. This helped restore my endorphin levels to normal, which helped my depression a bit but also helped my anxiety HUGELY, in fact this is about the most effective thing I have found for my anxiety. I have an arm injury which left me with long-term mild pain, it did help with this too, though the pain came back after I stopped taking D-Phenylalanine, I might not have taken it for long enough.

Worst supplement I ever used

Posted by danarm on Dec 05, 2012

I started experimenting with both D-phenylalanine (DPA) and D,L-phenylalanine (DLPA) because I have read about them in "The Diet Cure" by Julia Ross. All the other advices in the book were very good and helped me a lot. But using DLPA or DPA proved to be catastrophic for me. In the beginning, DLPA and DPA (1 pill per day) gave me a pleasant feeling of relaxation. But afterwards I had horrible symptoms: horrible headaches, dizziness and hot flashes which went on for 2-3 days, in spite of the fact that I ceased taking them. I have tried using DLPA or DPA multiple times. Each time the symptoms above (horrible headache, dizzyness, feeling hot) manifested themselves. So, to me it is a horrible supplement, one of the worst experiences I had. DLPA and DPA had the same effect on me, so I'm posting the same text as reviews for both products that I used.

Works Well

Posted by SteveL on Apr 09, 2010

The D- Form without the L-Phenylalanine is hard to find. This really helps with pain. It definitely does something to help protect endorphins in your body.

Posted by Reviewer1265520 on Mar 21, 2011

I call these my new 'happy pills' ... really gave me a good feeling. Not a high of course, just a really good feeling about ... everything. It works better than dlpa for me.

helps my mood

Posted by Reviewer2466342 on Jul 07, 2010

I'm not so weepy when I take 2 per day. I take this product (plain d-phenylalanine) at times when the DL-phenylalanine makes me wired, or makes me wake up too early. This is neutral and doesn't make you wired OR tired.

just as good as the expensive ones

Posted by NEDERLAND on Nov 06, 2010

this product works very good against joints pain.especially together with low dose naltrexone

Works GREAT for Depression!

Posted by Reviewer2820125 on Oct 26, 2011

Two to three of these a day keeps depression away. Iherb is the only place I can find pure DPA, not DLPA.

Hard to find - I do like

Posted by Reviewer2238409 on Nov 10, 2011

I use this with 4 other supplements for my bipolar cocktail. Good for the brain. D- is very hard to find elsewhere. Got to love iherb!

Happy Happy

Posted by Reviewer2139243 on Nov 08, 2011

I quit smoking and apparently zapped my endorphin supply that the nicotine had been giving me. This product put the endorphin "happy" back in my life and aleviated the aches and pains I was feeling too. Maybe that is why it makes you feel happier because you have less pain. This is a great product.

« Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next »