American red yeast rice WILL NOT help cholesterol!

Posted by Reviewer1072654 on Aug 29, 2015

If you're taking this to reduce LDL cholesterol, you are wasting your time and money. All red yeast rice products produced in the USA must BY LAW remove the natural statins which occur in the raw product. Thus, there is ZERO BENEFIT for reducing LDL cholesterol. Think I'm making this up? Look up 'red yeast rice' on Wikipedia, which cites the court cases (presumably initiated by pharmaceutical companies) which outlaw naturally occurring statins in red yeast rice products made in the USA. I'd been taking this product for a year and found no difference in my LDL levels. Now I know why. I'd demand a refund, except this and every other red yeast rice product on iHerb makes no claim to have statin or cholesterol-reducing benefits. To quote the Wikipedia article: "As of 2010, there are at least 30 brands available. Many of these avoid the FDA restriction by not having any appreciable monacolin content. Their labels and websites say no more than 'fermented according to traditional Asian methods' or 'similar to that used in culinary applications.' The labeling on these products often says nothing about cholesterol." Since red yeast rice has no other discernible benefit except as food coloring, you're wasting your money buying such supplements.

side effects

Posted by Reviewer1859641 on Jun 14, 2008

This isn't the fault of Doctor's Best, but the active substance in red yeast rice is lovastatin, and I can personaly attest to experiencing side effects with red yeast rice similar to those of statin drugs. I would probably recommend that those who aren't already seriously considering statin drugs to avoid this product.

Not good for me I think

Posted by Reviewer1881433 on Feb 15, 2008

This product seems to give me a tremendous amount of gastric upset.

Huge gas producer

Posted by Reviewer1479901 on May 31, 2008

I am another person who found this particular product to be unusable due to truly excessive gas production, at even 1 capsule per day.

Not good at all.

Posted by bruegger on May 04, 2012

Not good at all.

The product didn't arrive

Posted by 5358434459139141744 on Apr 16, 2015

Sorry to comunicate that until today the product I bought didn't arrive. Do you have a solution for this? Viragini

This is a no

Posted by 4847223854059433741 on Dec 12, 2015

My husband felt sick taking this.

better check with an expert before using

Posted by Reviewer1753634 on Sep 28, 2010