Waste of $

Posted by Reviewer3009568 on Nov 04, 2010

It's a "fake" black soap; very drying, leaves scum all over shower tile/glass, doesn't smell fresh. Try another brand like Nubian Heritage.

evaluation of Dr. Woods Black Soap with Shea Butter

Posted by Reviewer1794049 on Dec 24, 2008

i have used dr. bronner's (bar & liquid soaps), the whole foods generic brand (liquid only), kiss my face (bars only), and dr. woods soaps. my skin type is on the dry side. i am sensitive to fragrances and oils in soaps. this evaluation is based on personal preference through experience. i find dr. woods to be the most gentle of the soaps i have used and dr. bronner's to be the harshest. although all these soaps have rich oil bases and are all-natural, dr. woods happens to be the one i prefer. i feel clean when i scrub with it and when i rinse it off, my skin feels smooth. in comparison, other liquid soaps leave my skin feeling as if it has been dried and that there is still soap residue left. i considered it as an effect of the shea butter but i have also used the almond soap w/out shea butter with same effect. i use this soap instead of body washes because although body washes can be good for moisturizing, they do not leave me with a satisfactory clean feeling. the black soap did improve complexion. i do not have an acne problem but do occasionally get irritations on my skin due to dryness. the black soap takes care of these irritations effectively. it soothes and clears them away quickly. whatever oils that are in this soap agree with my skin. this is something i appreciate since i have a mild allergic reaction to most fragrances and oils in cleaning products. since this soap is gentle on my skin as well as an effective cleanser, i will continue to buy this and use it for the rest of my life unless the formula is changed. i would recommend this soap if someone were looking for a good soap to buy. it is better than dr. bronner's. in fact, i feel that this is the best soap we have out there on the market today that is actual soap.

Smells like a sleazy dude

Posted by Reviewer2893604 on Nov 14, 2013

Purchased this based on all the glowing reviews and was looking forward to trying it. UGH! The scent, or I should say odor, was a complete turn off - an overpowering, cheap, spicy men's cologne that you often smell on gold-chain-wearing men with their shirts unbuttoned down to there.

Great Product

Posted by craftygirl on Mar 03, 2009

First time I have used Dr. Woods, my daughter and I have fair skin that breaks out easily, works really great. Smell very nice and leaves a fresh soft scent. Would highly recommend it. I will buy Dr. Woods soaps again.

Mild & Wonderful

Posted by Reviewer1799536 on Feb 22, 2009

Great for shampooing.

Great Stuff

Posted by Reviewer1391561 on Jun 14, 2008

I jhave been using this for years and at 50 years of age my skin is excellent.

Not a replica of Dr. Bronner's

Posted by Reviewer2317474 on Jan 08, 2009

I have only used this version with shea so far. It is quite thick and has floating chunks of shea butter. We used Dr. Bronner's liquid soap in foaming bottle. I think this shea would spoil the foaming mechanism. We could dilute it about as much as Dr. Bronner's and use it from a lotion pump. It is not as drying as Dr. Bronner's and I like the smell of black soap. I feel it was a good choice to buy this as Dr. Bronner's price is no longer very affordable for us and I like the change.

A smell terrible soap!

Posted by 5439232587545212004 on Apr 16, 2014

It smells terrible like mens cologne plus baby powder. Sorry I cannot stand the smell. It is a good soap if u can stand the smell. I like to read reviews that are usually on the negative side first now because most of the times the items that i brought, which i based on the positive reviews, seldom applies much on me, maybe one or two that someone mention in their reviews but the negative one, most of the times, i experience what they did. Ironic thing is sometimes we had different skin types but still had the same outcomes.

Unpleasant fragrance and lumpy

Posted by Reviewer2725820 on Mar 30, 2009

This stuff has an unpleasant odor -- like pine tar or something. Also...the soap and shea butter are not emulsified. The shea butter is floating in big globs throughout the bottle, and it does not blend with shaking. Its kinda difficult to dispense from the bottle because the lumps of shea butter clog the spout. I do not reccommend it.

Great !!!!

Posted by Reviewer3037612 on Oct 19, 2008

Discovered this while looking for Dr. Bronner's castile soap. Works great. Definitely softens skin. Great that is it s liquid. Suds up well and rinses clean. I would definitely buy Dr. Wood's Black soap again. I will even try the rest of his soaps.