Gifts Best Sellers Specials New Products Product Trials Conditions A-Z

Eclectic Institute, Kava Kava, Whole Lateral Root, 100 Veggie Caps

Reviews 1-star

Weak. Powder isn't fine enough.

Posted by Reviewer2110492 on Apr 16, 2010

I had very high hopes for this brand and product type. I saw that this was just ground up powder kava root, so I was hoping to get good results from it. There was a product called Kava King which had real micronized powder so that if you put them into capsules and took about 5 of them, the effects were amazingly relaxing. Unfortunately, I think Kava King went out of business, and nobody else is doing the same thing of making finely ground kava root. Yes, there are many who offer powder, but really, it's not ground up finely enough to give you good effects just by mixing the powder with water or swallowing them in pill form. In fact, with most of the kava root powder, the only way to get good effects is to use a strainer and squeeze the kavalactones out of the powder. I was hoping for the same effects as the Kava King brand with Eclectic because I assumed that if they're selling just root powder in capsule form, they must have ground up fine enough. But I saw that the powder isn't ground up finely enough so that compared to Kava King. So I took about 20 pills in one sitting with hardly any effects. The next time around, I took the same amount and strained it the traditional way, and finally, there was some noticeable kava effect. The point is that just grinding up kava root and taking it won't do much for you. The powder has to be EXTREMELY fine for it to have effect taking it pill form. I don't know about people who say they get extremely good effects taking just 2 capsules, but I can say that you'll get better effects just buying kava powder from reputable online vendors who specialize in kava root powder. As of today, I don't know of any vendor who actually sells micronized kava root powder. I only know a few vendors who call them micronized for marketing effect, but aren't actually. I also know those who actually sell dried kava juice prepared in the traditional way, and that is currently the only decent method of taking kava in pill form. Bottom line: This product is pretty weak in my experience. If it works for you, great, but you'd get much better deals preparing them in traditional ways, or buying them in traditional forms and then putting them in capsules yourself.

did nothing for me

Posted by Reviewer2783823 on Nov 03, 2008

used the whole bottle. did nothing for me. no side effects though

Didn't work for me

Posted by Reviewer2032974 on Jul 08, 2010

This did nothing for me. Did not relax me one bit. Good Luck! maybe it just doesn't work for everyone

No effect on me

Posted by Reviewer1733570 on Nov 17, 2012

Been taking these for anxiety, I thought I'd give this second second brand a try, but to no avail