Garden of Life, Raw Protein, Beyond Organic Protein Formula, Vanilla, 22 oz (631 g)

Reviews 2-star

Be warned - has been found to be tainted with Lead, Cadmium and other heavy metals

Posted by faithjoy on Feb 05, 2014

Just read in Natural News online that three different labs have verified that this Raw Protein has heavy concentrations of heavy metals in it. Very upset because I ordered the Vanilla flavor one from iHerbs last year and consumed it within 4 months - and am now wondering if my current gynaelogical problems are connected to it in any way. Have not heard it the Raw Meal is tainted as well, but I would be even more upset if it was as I feed that to my son. Waiting to see if Natural News'll publish any more findings. UPDATE: Within 24 hours, Natural News has removed their previous publication of the lab findings, and reports that GOL and SunWarrior have committed to visiting the farms from which they source brown rice and testing the water for heavy metals, and they have committed to achieving specific low limits on heavy metal content in their products. They do not contest the findings in the Natural News report, but GOL states that "Raw Protein remains and always has been safe... these results, taken at face value, report levels that are entirely safe." Go to their website or the Natural News website to read the whole thing. Because of GOL's decent and conscientious response to this problem, I'm upgrading my review from one star to two. However, any amount of heavy metals, even if deemed "safe", seems too much for me. Best to avoid the product till GOL can address and rectify the problem at the source.

I used to love this but....

Posted by sweetheart on May 17, 2013

I really liked this product a lot. If you check all the ingredients it's awesome: probiotics, enzymes, vitamins... Compared to Sunwarrior's rice protein I found this better. ------------------ The only problem is that the quality varies. I have used this for a while now but lately I have received two packages that have been bad: they had a very strong rancid wax -like smell and taste. They couldn't be used. This is very sad because I really liked the product when it tasted normal. From now on I'll buy Sunwarrior even though the flavored proteins contain some additives.