Healthy Origins, Alpha Lipoic Acid, 300 mg, 150 Capsules

ALA, such an important supplement!

Posted by Reviewer3286239 on Jan 09, 2008

Healthy Origins ALA, 300 mg, is a very effective dosage at a very good price for 150 caps. My husband has remained diabetes-free since I've consistently given him 600 mg per day, 300 a.m. and 300 p.m., along with COQ10, 100 mg a.m. and 100 mg p.m. When he has swollen feet and ankles and the bottoms of his feet burn, I double the dosages, and the swelling and pain are gone within 36 hrs. Terrific Stuff! BE SURE TO ORDER ALL SUPPLEMENTS IN CAPSULE FORM!! AVOID THE BINDERS IN TABLETS OR CAPLETS!!

Nasty! - not for me.

Posted by Reviewer1042750 on May 02, 2011

I bought this as I read a review that it was kinder to the gut than other brands of ALA. It gave me the most awful heartburn and gut pain. Had to throw it away. Maybe ALA in general is not for me as I have a sensitive gut.

Elevated AST & ALT liver enzymes

Posted by Reviewer1062047 on Feb 12, 2010

I had elevated liver enzymes 3 months after being put on a medication (an antidepressant used for hot flashes). I quit that med & also the aromatase inhibitor (for post stage III breast cancer) that I was also on, along with no alcohol, limited animal fats & no acetaminophen. One month after taking the alpha lipoic acid, milk thistle & Liver Detoxifier (Now Foods brand) all of the lab values were back to normal. I'm back on the aromatase inhibitor, but needless to say I will carefully evaluate any medication my oncologist recommends & watch my life style choices.

average

Posted by sav430 on Jun 26, 2012

Price is right, but this doesn't work as well as R-lipoic products.

A valuable antioxidant.

Posted by Reviewer1317910 on Aug 23, 2009

ALA is a potent antioxidant which can function in both water and fat.As such it can help prevent free-radical damage from occurring and help to protect against diseases caused by oxidative damage. I have not been taking it long enough yet to properly assess the results in that area. However I have found that I am not as tired as I used to be. This supplement is the ideal daily dosage, although it would be better broken up into 2 or 3 dosages a day.