Healthy Origins, Astaxanthin, 4 mg, 150 Softgels

Good but can be better as well!

Posted by Supplementsdiy on Nov 17, 2013

Astaxanthin is one of the best supplements to take. Known as the king of carotenoids, it is a powerful antioxidant that can be readily enter the blood brain barrier to protect the brain and prevent neurodegenerative diseases, greatly increase athletic performance and stamina and shorten recovery time, increase eye vision and protect the eye from UV light, protect skin from sunburn (unusual benefits), anti inflammatory, halt cancer growth, improve immune system, never becomes pro-oxidant (even vitamin C can become oxidant), prevent cardiovascular diseases, alleviates carpal tunnel syndrome, joints pain, protects against UV light and others! Personally, the most felt effect is the improvement in athletic performance. I felt that I can tolerate the pain when running at fast constant speed for much longer distance. After exercising, the body is less likely to ache as well. Another important benefit is the prevention of sunburn. I have fair skin and tend to get sunburn easily. After taking Astaxanthin, I can last long hours under the sun without getting burn. Most people will need to take 2-3 softgels (8-12 mg daily) for maximum benefits. Astanxanthin used to be a lot cheaper before appearing on TV (Dr Oz). Prices have increased quite a lot but this isn’t too expensive. The softgel is made of gelatin (not for vegetarians), small and easy to swallow. Note that Astaxanthin inhibits nitric oxide. Nitric oxide is needed in body but can be harmful if produced in excess. It works as a vasodilator and it is important in men’s penile erections as well. I have tried dosing at 20mg daily and it does affect penile erection. I do not eliminate that the fact that this can be placebo which seems highly unlikely. Generally, it’s best to just stick to lower dosages. It used to be the cheapest per mg but not longer. Check out my page for more reviews!

NOT a good quality astaxanthin!!

Posted by Reviewer1391297 on Jun 04, 2012

It might be a good price, but the quality isn't good. I had been taking the NOW brand for a long time, then decided to try Healthy Origins, due to the price and the amount that you get. Whereas I had been able to comfortably go without sunglasses with the NOW brand, I found myself always squinting with this brand. Its inferior quality became clear today when I went for a walk, without suntan lotion, and ended up getting a bright red sunburn. With the other brand, I would have gotten just the lightest hint of color from that same walk. I'm not even going to bother finishing off the bottle, I'm going back to my old brand.

sundamaged skin

Posted by Reviewer2541665 on Aug 03, 2011

I have so far only used one bottle of Astaxanthin, I take 3 a day, and alreay two very bad and rather large sundamaged spots on my face are reciding

Works Great!

Posted by Jblondie on Aug 23, 2011

I don't have to take allergy medicine anymore when I go out to mow the lawn. Also works great for fatigue. I take 6 a day to get the results I need.

Good for joints

Posted by Reviewer2977710 on Oct 19, 2011

Astaxanthin is a good joint supplement, especially for use over the long term - I find the benefits have come on slowly over several months of consistent use, but they are a definitely there. This brand seems to be the cheapest one for 'BioAstin', which my sources say is the best you can get.