Wouldn't be without it

Posted by Reviewer2007195 on Aug 28, 2006

I started using this product about 5 years ago. I had previously heard that it was good for nerves, especially in people with bi-polar tendencies. However, I bought it for a colon condition (ulcerative colitis). After about 6 mohths of taking it, I really started to notice that I was calmly able to do things that would have stressed me out before, and it kept getting better. I'm not sure how much good it ever did for the colon issue, but it has dramatically improved my emotional quality of life. After having my cholesterol checked, they told me my good cholesterol was really high, and I believe that was from taking this product. I have tried other brands of fish oil and they all gave me fishy burps; this does not. Jarrow brand delivers more DHA for your money than any other brand. I don't think you can find a better brand of fish oil. For me personally, this is my #1 rated supplement of any kind.

The Best Ever Fish Oil

Posted by Reviewer1805827 on Mar 14, 2007

I've been taking this for about eight months.It's the only fish oil I can tolerate. AND,it's improved my mood, skin,joint pain is gone. Everything is just so much better. Suzanne,NewYork,NY

Good source of DHA

Posted by Reviewer2580264 on Mar 01, 2009

I buy these for the amount of DHA in them as my son has ADHD and this helps with his concentration. I've previousely bought other products high in the DHA but they also had a high amount of EPA in them too which I think is not such an advantage when using for helping an ADHD person. These are the only ones I've found that offer these levels of DHA like this. They definetly improve my son's concentration.

The most effective ratio for optimising brain function is 3:1 DHA to EPA

Posted by MORE-REVIEWS-FOR-YOU on Nov 13, 2014

"For optimising mental performance, it is important to have the correct ratio of EPA to DHA. My research on brain integration using direct muscle feedback has shown that the most effective ratio for optimising brain function, especially the executive functions of the frontal lobes is 3:1 DHA to EPA. Almost all fatty acids supplements available today, and all salmon oil, have considerably more EPA than DHA, the reverse of what the brain needs to support optimal performance. Having an excess of EPA relative to DHA may slow neural transmission, thus reducing the degree of brain integration." (Excerpts from Nutrition for the Brain, courtesy of Dr. Charles Krebs)

Good Product

Posted by Reviewer2057125 on Jan 04, 2008

I have been using this product and it has been helping with my depression. I take it twice a day and have notice a difference in my moods.

Great product/ different label

Posted by SilverStars on Jul 16, 2012

It seems the label of this product has recently changed and iherb haven't had the chance to update it yet. Luckily the amounts of DHA/EPA are still the same- 500/72mg. The fish picture is now gone from the label and on the back it states that the oil used is calamari oil. I don't know if the quality has changed as I haven't tried the previous version, but calamari have a shorter life cycle (about 450 days) compared to many fish that live a few years and so they are less likely to accumulate toxins such as mercury, PCB and toxins. So far, after about a month of use, I have noticed increased energy levels, better stress resistance and that i'm able to concentrate for longer. No fishy burps either, great product!

Great stuff

Posted by Reviewer3019306 on Jan 19, 2009

I've been using this brand of DHA/EPA fish oil for 6 or 7 years now. I originally started using it to treat ADD, and it helped me get off of ADD drugs (Wellbutrin). For the last year or so I have tried other similar products, but when I went back to the Jarrow, I immediately noticed a significant improvement in my mood and focus. Everyone's biochemistry is different, so this formula may not be the right one for you. But I definitely recommend trying it.

No longer Pharmaceutical Quality.

Posted by Reviewer3170607 on Oct 16, 2014

I used to think of this as a 5-star product but it has been changed. When I originally started buying this, maybe 15 years ago, it was made from sardines, then they changed that to calamari. I think this is because it is just no longer possible to find sardines that are up to the standard required to get a decent product and be able to make the claim that USED TO BE on the label: "Max DHA meets international pharmaceutical standards for purity and freshness." Now it no longer says that, and the words "Pharmaceutical Quality" have also been removed from the front of the label. The source is no longer kalamari, it is now "Fish (sardine, mackerel, anchovy)". I am quite disappointed in this, but I guess at least Jarrow is being honest with its customers -- the oceans are simply fished out and too contaminated anymore. Cheap canned sardines are no longer firm and fresh looking as they once were, they now fall apart in a kind of semi-rotten state. Another change I do not like is that Jarrow is no longer using carob to darken the gelatin capsule, they are now using "sodium copper chlorophyllin." Ugh.

Jarrow Formulas, Max DHA, Fish Oil, 607 mg, 180 Softgels

Posted by Reviewer2732747 on Oct 20, 2007

There are many "fish Oil" supplements on the market. Potency and purity is the key here. This brand is among the most reputable. I herb makes sure I get it fresh. Dr. JJ, Nationally Certified Health Care Provider (Certification # on file with I Herb)

They've changed formula.

Posted by alexandre on Jul 21, 2012

These DHA pills were made of fish but now it is made of calamari, to which I'm allergic. So I hope they come back with the old good formula.