Jarrow Formulas, Organic, Coconut Oil, 16 oz (454 g)

Reviews 5-star

Great inexpensive oil for cooking

Posted by Reviewer1564083 From California on Apr 12, 2009

I buy another brand of extra virgin coconut oil to use for supplement and cooking purposes, and I got hooked on the great cooking properties of coconut oil. However, the extra virgin has a strong coconut taste that you do not always want in your food. This oil is also fantastic for cooking and as a butter substitute, for half the price and without the coconut taste. I will continue to buy both, I think each has their purpose.

No coconutty taste!

Posted by Reviewer1723143 From New Jersey on Mar 31, 2009

I love coconut, but not in everything - and this is totally tasteless. The texture is not as soft and buttery as the virgin oil so it becomes quite hard when refrigerated. Note that this is produced from the copra, or dried coconut, rather than from the fresh. It actually sautes better, less frothy than the fresh oil.

Nice for cooking

Posted by Reviewer2903784 From Australia on Nov 18, 2009

This is a good coconut oil for cooking foods where you don't want a coconut flavour. Of course, low flavour means less of the factors that make coconut oil a great food. it's still a good cooking fat though, as it doesn't oxidise, even at high temperatures or after long storage time.

Good Stuff!

Posted by MikeMember From Japan on May 11, 2007

Excellent all around oil. Great for frying and makes delicious popcorn, without adding any coconut flavor to the food.

Fabulous!

Posted by Reviewer1214804 From Florida on Sep 10, 2009

Not only do I cook with this, but I eat it straight from the jar, too! I keep two jars in the fridge--I chop them both up into chunks with a knife so it's easy to use a piece for cooking and eating. I'm not crazy about the waxy consistency but I find that if I fill my mouth with ice cold water, it keeps the coconut oil from getting too oily and I'm able to swallow it fairly quickly, before I get too grossed out! I also found that the more I eat, the more I crave it (I eat a tablespoon or two sized chunk each evening before bed). I feel a huge difference physically when I have the oil on a regular basis--I actually feel better and thinner in my tummy and not as bloated (which is a problem I've been having lately).