Life Extension, Se-Methyl L-Selenocysteine, 200 mcg, 100 Veggie Caps

« Previous | 1 2 | Next »

No better than selenomethionine

Posted by Health-Is-Wealth on Mar 21, 2014

Why I became interested in selenium - it regulates 5-lipoxygenase (which converts EFAs into leukotrienes) and circadian rhythm. However, this one caused my hips to seize up (which I suppose could mean it's really effective and therefore antagonising something else? e.g. vit D, sulfur, chromium). Note re breast cancer research - one of the major studies actually showed selenium *increased* risk when supplemented by itself, which makes sense if you consider that *low* doses of selenium are synergistic with vit D. If vit D is low, more selenium may lower vit D further, and low vit D is also correlated with increased risk of breast cancer. High doses of selenium also antagonise other minerals such as magnesium, zinc, chromium - all required for reducing disease/inflammation and ensuring bone/endocrine health. Anyway - after trying four different brands/types of selenium - this one, selenomethionine, sodium selenite, sodium selenate - I kind of wonder if more benefit is derived from the sulfur rather than the selenium - though everyone is different, yes? Consider that sulfur and selenium are synergists - more selenium needs more sulfur (and vice versa). Foods such as rice/nuts/seeds are low in/antagonise sulfur via nutrients they contain (e.g. B15). Also - the fillers in this are weirdly non-hypoallergenic - Rice flour? Palmitate? Why? Essentially I won't buy again - if I feel I need extra selenium, I'll take selenomethionine - it never causes my hips to seize up and I can easily cut the tabs in half if I want to take fifty micrograms. Two hundred micrograms is way too much. Megadosing is foolish IMHO. If this review was helpful to you, please click YES below - thank you. For reviews of all the products I have purchased from iHerb, please click my username above.

Please Don't Ever Discontinue It Again !

Posted by Reviewer3354314 on Jun 12, 2013

Not long ago, this product was temporarily discontinued here at I-Herb. Please don't ever do that again! A lot of breast cancer and thyroid cancer patients prefer and depend upon this particular form of Se -- along with iodine (either Iodoral or Lugol's solution, or both) -- for prevention of and/or recovery from BC or thyroid cancer. Se protects the thyroid gland from attack by autoimmune antibodies (Hashimoto's thyroiditis), and this form of Se is the best protection against these autoantibodies. Life Extension brand is the only brand of Se available in this unique formula which is bio-available and more easily absorbed than other similar brands of Se products. We are counting on I-Herb to keep this product in stock. (BTW, for readers who are curious to know more about the Iodine Therapy Protocol for BC or thyroid cancer, visit BreastCancerChoices-dot-org on the internet.)

The best form of selenium

Posted by Reviewer2167095 on Jun 24, 2013

This is the best form of selenium for the body to recognize & utilize. I get no noticeable benefit when taking selenomethionine but when I take this, I have a greater feeling of well being. It is hard to find this form of selenium on it's own with nothing else added in the capsule. Please continue to keep this one in stock.

This is supossed to be the best form of selenium to use.

Posted by 4782523585447708331 on Apr 15, 2014

Helps my liver, along with DIM by Source Naturals, to break down estrogen, prevent acne, and knock out PMS.

TOO HARD ON THE STOMACH

Posted by Reviewer1829477 on May 15, 2014

I have taken selenium yeast supplements just fine. I read that this was supposed to be the best form and most bio-available. I GET INSTANTLY SICK WHEN I TAKE IT. I tried three times and it ruined 3 days of my life. ---I love Iherb.com so much but I am really bummed that there is no return option for situations like this. I even emailed about it but I only got a canned response, a bit disappointing.

« Previous | 1 2 | Next »