Stunning results, difficult to get it right, though

Posted by Reviewer1689881 on May 03, 2010

I get lots of complements on my hair after using this product. I am about 50% gray with medium brown, and my hair is fairly thin. After using this product, my hair turns out very a shiny brown with beautiful golden red highlights and it appears as if I have twice as much hair as I actually do. I went through a lot of difficulties getting it right, though. Be aware that if you use heat, the colors can become permanent. I had a horrible experience with the dark brown after using heat on the second stage. The color would not come out, and dealing with the roots was extremely difficult. Dealing with roots with henna is about 10 times a difficult as dealing with them when using chemical hair color. My preference is to just use henna as a temporary color, and I think it is best to never use a shade darker than one's natural color. I find that it is OK to use a little heat on the first stage, if it isn't more than about 5 minutes, otherwise the red tones can build up over time. I like to add camomile tea or lemon juice to the second stage to bring out the gold.

Great results

Posted by Reviewer1728405 on Jul 18, 2011

The colouring process is rather messy and time consuming, but the result is perfect. Covers the grey totally. Beware that this is NOT light brown, but rather dark brown.

If you get your hairdresser to apply it, you'll be on to a winner!

Posted by Reviewer2777825 on Feb 14, 2009

I've been using this for nearly a year now and have been very pleased with the results. I didn't want to apply it myself cos I didn't want the mess or for me to get it wrong but my hairdresser offered to do it. On to a winner! She enjoys doing it, I don't have to worry how long to leave it on for, I don't get mess all over my house and I get professionally applied natural hair colour. I started off with their normal henna but this one gives more natural results.

from Sydney Australia

Posted by Reviewer1307389 on Sep 12, 2008

This product really works and the result is very satisfactory. The 2-step makes it rather time consuming, but if you have the time it's worth the effort. The result is amazing. My hair has more volume and lots of shine.

Works, but lots of work

Posted by Reviewer1533331 on Apr 24, 2012

Henna is a lot of work. It is also a big commitment: once you henna you can't switch back to chemical colorants. I use this to cover gray. The color says light brown, but on me it turns chestnut - maybe my hair is porous, or maybe I have hennaed for so long it has built up. Do a strand test. Before you try this, please realize it is going to take several HOURS - boiling distilled water, curing the henna paste, putting on the red henna, rinsing it, applying the brown indigo/henna mixture, letting it set, rinsing it....the rinsing is rather daunting. No kidding, this is a pain. However, it's the only way if you want to color your hair and not put toxic chemicals on it. If there were any other way, I would do it - but so far, this is it. Results last as long as permanent color on me. In fact, I wish they would fade because my hair is too dark. PS - you have to stay away from chlorinated pools FOREVER after you henna, or wear a Speedo cap. Unless you want green hair.

I am usually a blond- but this stuff is worth it to get my hair back into a healthy state!

Posted by Reviewer2885512 on May 29, 2008

I have been a blond for years, and my former hairdresser damaged my hair with ammonia and peroxide. I used to get just highlights up until October 2005. After that she recommended I die my hair completely instead of just streaking it. It made my frizzy hair problem even worse. I have switched to a more so-called natural hair colour product with peroxide only and while I loved the colour, it didn't do my hair any better than the toxic salon products. Most of the stuff out there is toxic. I reluctantly tried this product recently, and brought it to my new hairdresser to apply. After it was done my hair was so soft and manageable-no frizz whatsoever! She didn't need to use a hair straightening iron like she did before-just a hair dryer!It's not too dark. I still prefer blond-but this is nice too. It's natural.I won't go back to another brand again. I recommended this product to a health food store, but actually the shipping and the time it took to get the product here was very efficient. I was impressed.

No more grey hair

Posted by Reviewer2436167 on Apr 26, 2012

It covers grey hair completely. The length of the colouring process does not bother me at all. Henna does not only colour the hair, it is also an excellent mask for hair.

I have been using this product and will continue to use it

Posted by Reviewer1432384 on Dec 20, 2012

The color covers my grey longer than the other brands with Henna I've ordered from iherb.com. The light brown color I use blends good and it does not get a dull look as it lightens over time. In fact, it looks better after several shampoos when it shows multishades giving depth but in a natural way. And it doesn't give me a lot of red like the other brands I used. I also use shampoo/conditioner with Henna that helps to add shine. BTW, it does not include a separate conditioner packet like the other brands, but it's probably included in the second coloring packet (it is a 2-step process).

Great product

Posted by Reviewer3125676 on Feb 27, 2008

This was the first time I ever used a henna color, o IT was kind of weird at first, smelled like plant food and was gritty and kinda messy. But it is an all natural product with out any chemicals I like that. The color came out better than expected , really pretty. What might make the product better is if it came with an applicator bottle and/or brush. It would make it easier to apply.

Hmmm...

Posted by Reviewer3105168 on Jul 13, 2011

I love that this henna is all natural and does a pretty good job of covering gray hair - but I have reddish brown hair with some natural gold highlights and it turned my hair really, really dark! And unfortunately, really dark hair doesn't work for me. I also don't understand the need for the two step process and wish it was explained somewhere as the first step left my hair a beautiful color closer to my natural shade but the second step turned it almost black. I may try to just use the first step next time to see if that works better. I'll keep trying and will re-post as it does leave my hair in great condition.

« Previous | 1 2 3 | Next »