Stunning results, difficult to get it right, though

Posted by Reviewer1689881 on May 03, 2010

I get lots of complements on my hair after using this product. I am about 50% gray with medium brown, and my hair is fairly thin. After using this product, my hair turns out very a shiny brown with beautiful golden red highlights and it appears as if I have twice as much hair as I actually do. I went through a lot of difficulties getting it right, though. Be aware that if you use heat, the colors can become permanent. I had a horrible experience with the dark brown after using heat on the second stage. The color would not come out, and dealing with the roots was extremely difficult. Dealing with roots with henna is about 10 times a difficult as dealing with them when using chemical hair color. My preference is to just use henna as a temporary color, and I think it is best to never use a shade darker than one's natural color. I find that it is OK to use a little heat on the first stage, if it isn't more than about 5 minutes, otherwise the red tones can build up over time. I like to add camomile tea or lemon juice to the second stage to bring out the gold.

from Sydney Australia

Posted by Reviewer1307389 on Sep 12, 2008

This product really works and the result is very satisfactory. The 2-step makes it rather time consuming, but if you have the time it's worth the effort. The result is amazing. My hair has more volume and lots of shine.

I am usually a blond- but this stuff is worth it to get my hair back into a healthy state!

Posted by Reviewer2885512 on May 29, 2008

I have been a blond for years, and my former hairdresser damaged my hair with ammonia and peroxide. I used to get just highlights up until October 2005. After that she recommended I die my hair completely instead of just streaking it. It made my frizzy hair problem even worse. I have switched to a more so-called natural hair colour product with peroxide only and while I loved the colour, it didn't do my hair any better than the toxic salon products. Most of the stuff out there is toxic. I reluctantly tried this product recently, and brought it to my new hairdresser to apply. After it was done my hair was so soft and manageable-no frizz whatsoever! She didn't need to use a hair straightening iron like she did before-just a hair dryer!It's not too dark. I still prefer blond-but this is nice too. It's natural.I won't go back to another brand again. I recommended this product to a health food store, but actually the shipping and the time it took to get the product here was very efficient. I was impressed.

Gray doverage for hair

Posted by Reviewer2901632 on Jun 09, 2008

Very messy - takes practice to get the consistency just right. Works well - just make sure that you cover the floor - cabinets, etc. There is not much out there that is no chemical so this is a good alternative.

Time consuming but Healthy

Posted by Reviewer2018262 on Nov 16, 2009

This product is a little time-consuming to put on, but leaves hair very shiny and healthy. My hair is healthier now than it's ever been thanks to this product. If you're willing to spend the time or your stylist is willing to apply it for you, it's definitely worth the effort!

Safer to use

Posted by Reviewer1026526 on Jan 17, 2010

Covers the gray well, with no dangerous chemicals. This product is a bit harder to use than usual coloring products, but it is worth it.

henna coloring

Posted by Reviewer2270558 on Aug 15, 2011

Satisfactory service and product.

I would only use it gray/no pigment hair

Posted by 5015500917200030083 on Aug 03, 2015

I bought this to color my ashy light roots to match darker henna hair. I would recommend this to real gray/no pigment hair. After a week or to my roots were still quite yellowish. Tho my ends were nice warm light brown shade on top of my orange henna hair, like light auburn. I think the yellow roots were due to my light-ash-medbrown-virgin hair than being really gray hair. I fixed my root with Light Mountain Light Brown. Color was nice, but wrong choice on my account. Love the brand, can't get it from my country. Makes my hair feel silky, soft and healthy.

The best way to dye your gray hair without chemicals

Posted by 5002872517145075407 on Dec 13, 2015

I'm not gonna lie, this is a bit of a pain. You have to wait for the stuff to cure, step 1 to get your hair ready to take the dye and step 2 to dye. The stuff drips a bit. It smells. That said, I was allergic to even the hair dye that had the tiniest bit of peroxide. No Aveda salon for me. It was either gray hair or this and for that I am forever grateful to have this option. My hair looks good and I can pretend I am 37 instead of 47. Win!

Good Results; Time Consuming

Posted by Reviewer3362220 on Jun 01, 2016

If this is your first time using henna, make sure you don't wait til the day you want to color. The testing of loose hair strands and testing for allergy needs to be done ahead of time. Also for this color it is required for the solution (mud) to cure in a bowl for 3 hrs., and that is the second application. It was a little difficult to keep the product on my hair for 3 hrs. Didn't feel there was much I could do during that time and the smell got to me. Not that it is real bad like the chemical products, just that it was for such a long time. But the color was good and did cover grey. Was not light at first but over 10 days or so gradually lightened up. Best thing is that there are no harmful ingredients.