Strong fragrance added and moderately toxic

Posted by Reviewer2357113 on Jun 01, 2012

I've been on the quest to find a shampoo that contains ingredients derived from nature with few harmful chemicals. I had high hopes for this shampoo. I've been using it for about a month. It lathers up extremely well and this usually doesn't happen with most plant derived shampoos. It makes me wonder what type of synthetic foaming agent had been added to it. It works well in terms of getting my longer hair clean and making it tangle free. However, it leaves a very strong scent behind as though someone sprayed strong perfume into my hair. If I work really hard on rinsing my hair well, the scent is slightly less strong, but still much stronger than after most other shampoos. I have gone online to the EWG's Cosmetic Database to check out their rating for this product and discovered that this shampoo has a fairly toxic rating of 5. Quite frankly, I'm better off using the Dove Moisturizing Shampoo (score of 3) available at most stores that sell shampoo than this product. Nature's Gate needs to be more upfront about what they put into their shampoos. When they list "fragrance" on the bottle, this could be a mixture of a whole bunch of toxic compounds or parabens. Twice, I contacted Nature's Gate customer service in hopes of finding out what their "fragrance" mixture contains, but they would not answer the question and each time referred me to the list of ingredients on their website, which has the same general "fragrance" wording on it. I wanted to like this shampoo as it makes my hair feel soft, but I am not convinced it's good for me. So unfortunately I will keep looking for a shampoo that is less perfumed and less toxic. Next on the list is the Everyday Shea Shampoo which only has about 5 ingredients.

Nature's Gate, Herbal Shampoo, Daily Cleansing

Posted by Reviewer1970799 on Nov 28, 2011

this shampoo dries hair

Strong Smell

Posted by Reviewer1727189 on Jan 25, 2012

The smell is so strong and long-lasting, and the bad thing is I don't like it at all. My hair smells like some cheap artifical fragnance for the whole day. The shampoo dries the hair and the conditioner seems not smooth and moistrurize the hair. I will switch back to my favorate Giovanni hair products.

Not all natural

Posted by Reviewer2203927 on Sep 19, 2008

This product smells great and I use it now as a body wash! but it's not all natural!

Dries my hair terribly :(

Posted by MyDewHerb on Apr 13, 2013

I bought this after a friend recommended I should try it, the smell is nice and the product does clean my hair but it dried my hair TERRIBLY. Sadly I will not re-purchase, even though this shampoo is filled with goodness and does not contain bad ingredients like SLS etc.

Cleans well, but dries out the hair

Posted by 5158177881410569065 on Mar 10, 2015

My boyfriend and me got dry, itchy, flaky hair from this one. His hair is fine and mine bleached so we both needed something gentle to clean up dirt but still maintained the health of the hair and scalp. This failed. The only cons are non toxic ingredients and a large amount for the price. Will not buy again.

A bit drying

Posted by 5668344325038503219 on Apr 26, 2015

It was ok. There is way better shampoos out there so probs won't buy it again.

Buen olor, buena textura pero pelo sucio al segundo dia

Posted by 5171965529339132273 on Jun 03, 2015

Compré este champú para empezar probando los champús sin silicona ya que en un blog una chica hablaba bien de el. Empezó durandome mucho el olor en el pelo(muy bueno eso si), pero al día siguiente después de haberlo lavado ya empezaba a estar sucio, Lo probé durante un mes por si era cosa de la adaptación pero nada. Ya ni me huele el pelo después de lavarlo.. Me he cambiado al de dessert essence.

Nature's Gate, Herbal Daily Cleanse Shampoo, 18 fl oz (532 ml)

Posted by blurhoney on Jun 14, 2016

saw sooooo many good reviews about this shampoo so i decided to give it a try.. but its disappointing for me as it made my hair really really dry after washing... so upset