Nature's Gate, Herbal Shampoo, Daily Cleansing, 18 fl oz (532 ml)

Reviews 2-star

Strong fragrance added and moderately toxic

Posted by Reviewer2357113 on Jun 01, 2012

I've been on the quest to find a shampoo that contains ingredients derived from nature with few harmful chemicals. I had high hopes for this shampoo. I've been using it for about a month. It lathers up extremely well and this usually doesn't happen with most plant derived shampoos. It makes me wonder what type of synthetic foaming agent had been added to it. It works well in terms of getting my longer hair clean and making it tangle free. However, it leaves a very strong scent behind as though someone sprayed strong perfume into my hair. If I work really hard on rinsing my hair well, the scent is slightly less strong, but still much stronger than after most other shampoos. I have gone online to the EWG's Cosmetic Database to check out their rating for this product and discovered that this shampoo has a fairly toxic rating of 5. Quite frankly, I'm better off using the Dove Moisturizing Shampoo (score of 3) available at most stores that sell shampoo than this product. Nature's Gate needs to be more upfront about what they put into their shampoos. When they list "fragrance" on the bottle, this could be a mixture of a whole bunch of toxic compounds or parabens. Twice, I contacted Nature's Gate customer service in hopes of finding out what their "fragrance" mixture contains, but they would not answer the question and each time referred me to the list of ingredients on their website, which has the same general "fragrance" wording on it. I wanted to like this shampoo as it makes my hair feel soft, but I am not convinced it's good for me. So unfortunately I will keep looking for a shampoo that is less perfumed and less toxic. Next on the list is the Everyday Shea Shampoo which only has about 5 ingredients.

Nature's Gate, Herbal Shampoo, Daily Cleansing

Posted by Reviewer1970799 on Nov 28, 2011

this shampoo dries hair

Strong Smell

Posted by Reviewer1727189 on Jan 25, 2012

The smell is so strong and long-lasting, and the bad thing is I don't like it at all. My hair smells like some cheap artifical fragnance for the whole day. The shampoo dries the hair and the conditioner seems not smooth and moistrurize the hair. I will switch back to my favorate Giovanni hair products.

Dries my hair terribly :(

Posted by MyDewHerb on Apr 13, 2013

I bought this after a friend recommended I should try it, the smell is nice and the product does clean my hair but it dried my hair TERRIBLY. Sadly I will not re-purchase, even though this shampoo is filled with goodness and does not contain bad ingredients like SLS etc.

Not all natural

Posted by Reviewer2203927 on Sep 19, 2008

This product smells great and I use it now as a body wash! but it's not all natural!