Now Foods, 5-HTP, 100 mg, 120 Vcaps

Reviews 5-star

Sleeping Better, Eating Better

Posted by HawaiianViking on Oct 01, 2012

After taking 100mg of 5-HTP for several weeks, I'm pleasantly surprised by the results. My sleep is much improved; Within about an hour of taking a 100mg capsule of 5-HTP I'm relaxed, sleepy and ready for bed but, thankfully, it's not the same feeling that a person gets after taking a prescription sleep aid. In my waking time, I find that I have little craving for junky, carbohydrate-laden foods. I'm thankful especially that I no longer have a late-night hunger for sugary junk food. My mood hasn't much changed, but depression — of the type caused by brain chemistry — can be a result of a defecit of the neurotransmitters Dopamine, Norepinephrine, and Serotonin. Since 5-HTP works by stimulating the human body's own production of Serotonin, I think that a person must have depressed levels of Serotonin in order for this product to make much difference in their overall quality of life, since depression can involve other neurotransmitters. To those who already take prescription anti-depressants: Please be careful! Consult with your medical professional, since 5-HTP — together with SSRIs — can create dangerous levels of Serotonin in the brain and cause Serotonin Syndrome.

Helps with depression

Posted by Reviewer2835859 on Aug 25, 2010

I take three of the 100 mg. capsules a day and it has really helped with depression. I didn't notice the full effects until about 2-3 weeks, so try to hang in there if you don't feel that it's benefitting much. This was a last attempt before trying another anti-depressant. I was previously on Celexa to help with mood swings/depression while taking high doses of prednisone. I believe this works nearly as well and doesn't have the Celexa side-effects of weight gain and mild personality changes.

Cures the blues

Posted by Reviewer3319121 on May 02, 2008

On the recommendation of other reviewers (thanks) I gave this- in combo with GABA- a try and it helped me. I am going through menopause and trying to stay off HRT. Give it a try. It's cheaper than a shrink and big pharma drugs. You may need those to be sure, but trying this first might do the trick.

Works Well

Posted by Reviewer1556927 on Nov 17, 2008

This is my first time buying 5-HTP and all I can say is it works! It has a good mellow type of relaxing feel to it, in a way makes me happier dealing with things. You do have to be careful with how many you take because it did cause nausea like side effects and headaches when my friend took 2 pills (she weighs only 120 pounds). But I take around 3 pills a day and haven't had such pronounced effects. Great Product and Fast shipping and prices from this company!!

Not as much of an old, grumpy man

Posted by Reviewer2001440 on Nov 02, 2006

My daughters told me that I was becoming an old, gumpy man. I have been taking one dose in the morning for several weeks. They told me the other day I was MUCH more fun to be around!