10% Off Orders Over $40!

Now Foods, 5-HTP, 100 mg, 120 Vcaps

Reviews 1-star

Very Bad Dreams

Posted by Reviewer2251109 on May 01, 2009

First off, this is a review for 5 HTP in general and not necessarily the NOW version of it. NOW is a good brand and I recommend it. 5 HTP works great for some and for others it's not so good. I was on Lexapro for 6 months because I'm so prone to anxiety attacks. It helped a little but the side effects were too much. So I stopped Lexapro and started 5 HTP. During the day I could immediately feel the difference. I felt lighter and less troubled. But the nights were awful. It did not help me to sleep (I also suffer from insomnia) and the entire night I suffered with horrid dreams. Normally I have lovely dreams. But from the 5 HTP I would awake feeling like I hadn't slept because my mind was super active during the night. Last night I finally slept peacefully again because I went without it. Perhaps 50mg would be better than 100mg but they are capsules and I can't exactly break them. If I had purchased it locally at a health food store I could return the rest of the bottle. But from iherb you cannot return it once it's been opened. Be sure not to order a large quantity if you are uncertain whether or not how it will affect you.

Not very effective.

Posted by Reviewer3220333 on Nov 17, 2011

This doesn't help me to sleep whether I take it 30mins, one hour or one and a half hours before my sleep. The closer to my bedtime I take it, the more likely I will taste a bitterness in the back of my throat after I lie down on the bed for a while. I really wanted it to work.

I didn't get good results with NOW.

Posted by Reviewer1349105 on Dec 20, 2007

I've used 3 different brands of 5-HTP and I got wonderful results from two of the three. NOW was the one I didn't like because I didn't get anything from it. I took Solaray and Vita-Herb brands and they both have helped tremendously with my anxiety. I personally don't recommend NOW's 5-HTP.

I feel MORE depressed taking this!

Posted by Reviewer1623543 on May 14, 2008

I started taking the full capsule when I received my shipment. I took it at bedtime and it kept me up all night with rapid heartbeat! I tried to open the capsule and take just a little bit each night and sometimes during the day for about a week. I noticed i felt REALLY depressed and irritable. I do not recommend this product.

BE CAUTIOUS: ALLERGY/SIDE EFFECTS

Posted by Reviewer1291546 on Aug 30, 2011

On the 1st day I took it before bedtime as instructed, and the next morning I developed serious itchy rashes on my lower legs. I also had running nose, watery eyes and an itchy throat. I suspected an allergy reaction and went to my GP, who confirmed my doubt and gave me some anti-histamine medication. And it took another 4 days for the rashes and other symptom to fully subside. Now it is over a week and I still have some red dots left on my legs. I am not prone to allergy and this is the first time I have ever got rashes on my body (me a healthy female in my early 20s, currently under stress and took this product for better moods and sleep quality). It might work for some people as all those good ratings cannot be fake, but your mileage may vary and please at least google side effects of 5-htp before you decide to give it a try.