Be careful...

Posted by Reviewer2021352 on Oct 20, 2010

This was great, I felt happy and in a great mood from only a couple of days being on it. I love it! I only give it 3 stars because after being on 5-HTP for about four weeks I started feeling this strong tingling all over my body, feelings like you get when you hit your funny bone, too. I was taking 100mg per day, then I decided to give it up and the tingling (slowly) went away. I found out that I was getting a Serotonin overload so be careful, do not take the 100mg to start specially if you are weaning off medication for depression (I was on Prozac) 5-HTP can be toxic at high doses! I will try taking the 50mg once a day. Hopefully that will help. I will write my review there too.

results are unclear

Posted by Reviewer2358105 on Feb 11, 2010

I'm not sure if I'm responding to this product. After reading the book The Mood Cure by Julia Ross, I decided that I may be lacking in seratonin. I have been taking one caplet in the afternoon about 1-2hrs. after lunch. I am sleeping through the night for the most part now instead of waking up and not being able to fall back asleep b/c I'm worrying about something going on in my life. So, in that way, this product may be responsible for that improvement. Note: as the instructions on the bottle say, don't take this product with food or just before or after eating. I experienced serious stomach pain (gasey feeling) one day when I accidentally took it with a meal.

Vivid dreams

Posted by Reviewer1393364 on Mar 31, 2010

I don't know how well or not these caps work- I've been taking them for a few weeks now and haven't noticed THAT much change, but I've heard that their impact is subtle. However, I immediately started having vivid dreams and just about every morning will remember what I dreamt about the night before. That may or may not be a good thing for some people- for me, it goes either way, since they're not always "happy" dreams. I'll continue to take them until I use up the bottle and then will probably have more insight as to how effective these caps are for me.

Now Foods 5-htp

Posted by Reviewer1200435 on Mar 14, 2011

This did more for my appetite than my depression, and I advise not to mix this with st john's wort specially the full dose because it can cause slow borderline serotonin syndrome over time approximately 2 weeks or more. Side effects: upset stomach, Help my appetite '*****' Helped my depression '***' Helped my sleep '**' Helped my energy level '*****' Good Luck

not as clear as other brand

Posted by Reviewer1386476 on Sep 17, 2008

My Dr. recommended 5 HTP for foggy thinking. My first purchase was Natural Balance brand 50 mg. It worked GREAT. I decided to try NOW because I use one of their multi's and have been pleased. But after taking this at 100 mg I am not as clear as I was on the NB brand, although I am better than I was before using anything. I will go back to NB after this.

5 HTP

Posted by Reviewer2721337 on Sep 24, 2008

I haven't been taking this product long enough (about two weeks) to really know if it has the advertised effect on me. I am confused by the directions for taking this brand of 5-HTP as compared to other brands; this one directs the user to take one at bedtime on an empty stomach, my previous brand directs the user to take one 3 - 4 time daily with food; another brand I researched directs the user to take one 2 - 3 times daily with or without food.

No effect

Posted by Reviewer2865107 on Apr 04, 2010

I've been taking this for about two weeks. Started with 100 mg. then increased my dose to 200 mg. because I noticed no decrease in my depression. I recently began taking St. John's Wort with the hope of positive results. I don't doubt that this 5-HTP works for many, just not for me, unfortunately.

Mary Ritt

Posted by Reviewer1122432 on Dec 15, 2010

Definitely provided deep sleep when taken before bedtime. Not good to use regularly. Could cause side effects.

Not too bad

Posted by Reviewer1990759 on Nov 24, 2008

still taking them every night and I don't feel any ill effects and my daily life seems normal. I guess I will know when I stop using them what they have been doing. Using one a day at bedtime

headaches are practically gone!

Posted by Reviewer3019893 on Apr 24, 2009

For me this works almost unnoticeably, I do not really have the idea that I feel much better, nor am I losing weight with it. But I haven't had one headache since I started taking these en that's really exceptional for me.

« Previous | 1 2 3 | Next »