So far, so good...

Posted by Reviewer3297121 on May 13, 2010

I'm taking 5-HTP due to IBS-d and depression with anxiety attacks. I've suffered with this for 23 years. I recently came across some research from the late 1990's about serotonin deficiency that causes IBS-d along with depression, anxiety attacks, insomnia, etc. In the last 6 weeks I have taken Kamut Wheatgrass, NOW's 5-HTP, NOW's Pancreatin, NOW's Gr9-Dophilus and NOW's Acetyl-L Carnitine. My IBS and sleep has improved and my depression with anxiety attacks has been marginalized. I've ordered all of this from iHerb.

Product Effectiveness

Posted by 5694595453968319568 on Jun 01, 2015

I also search for many researches about how to make brain recovery from illness like Depression or Bipolar Disorder and then I find out the best way is using SSRI (Fluoxetine, Sertralien etc.) but it have many effect like sleep disruption or stimulate more NorE and Dopamine that can trigger to mania phase in Bipolar Disorder patient. 5-HTP is alternative way but It's only increase serotonin in blood and very liitle in brain because of blood-brand berrier moreover there is no evidence that 5-HTP can make brain recovery like the drug. Nevertheless 5-HTP has effective to make mood better, eat less, recovery from depression in some patient etc. its dosage is vary 100-300mg normally, that dosage can stimualte people to feel euphoria or maybe some cases to feel sleepy. If you using 5-HTP I recommend to also use Vitamin B6 (recommend at 60mg per day) and Magnesium (Amino acid chelate is the best form and Mg Oxide is hard is less bioavailability) those supplements will help serotonin synthesis but you should aware using Vitamin B6 in longterm because it can be toxic for your nerves. By the way the effect of 5-HTP is vary in individual patient you should try for start at 50mg a day wait and see the effect about 2 weeks.

Great product

Posted by TheSoulfulSpoon on Aug 18, 2012

This product is a must have for me. I have battled with depression and overeating all my life and this product WORKS> it does not simply make you not hungry, but gives you a more positive outlook and really takes the "blues" feelings away that can lead to a crummy eating lifestyle and depression proned activities like overeating. I take 2 in the morning before breakfast and 2 before dinner. I also sleep better too.

A good one but the effects are short lasting

Posted by 5279111227043442885 on Apr 21, 2016

I have never been taking this supplement and since I work in a healthy food store where we sell these kind of stuff I got to know this product. In my country (Croatia, Europe) this product is very expensive so I am happy that we have iHerb where everything is not that expensive. This product is no miracle but it will help you to become calm and your thoughts will be easy flowing. I noticed that it takes around 30-60 minutes for HTP to start working in your brain. The feeling is similiar when you are done with gym workout and you feel like you are on a cloud, and dont give a heck about anything. I also noticed that I want to sing when I take it :) The negative side is that the effects of the pill last 2-3 hours. Also dont take more than one pill at a time because it will increase anxiety and negative thoughts. I dont suffer from any mental condition that would require for me to take HTP but I took it out of curiosity. Summary, it is pretty decent product that will help you through a stresfull day but the effects are not long enough. Greets from beautiful Croatia :)

Feels good

Posted by Reviewer3287921 on Jun 30, 2011

My mood is better and more stable. Cannot figure out any other reason than starting with 5-HTP. Only kind of down side is that dreams have become wicked..

So far so good.

Posted by Reviewer3155280 on Sep 16, 2011

I actually feel good on it. Been on st johns and that didn't do much for me. I like it!!! Puts me in a better mood. But, doesn't help w sleep for me though. Price is good too.

Works well

Posted by Reviewer1190932 on Jun 10, 2009

My wife has daily wicked headaches. This seems to be the only natural pill that works.

Very good.

Posted by Reviewer2245885 on Dec 05, 2009

Definetly has pos. effect on mood,outlook and quality of sleep. Appears to diminish appetite too. Does effect dreams. Need to be careful with the dosage as I have experienced some GI upset/effects;but was taking a high dosage(300mg) BID.Will cut back and add Tyrosine back to regime to balance neurotransmitter synthesis.

My mom swears by this.

Posted by Reviewer2669972 on Jan 06, 2010

I haven't used it but a couple of times, but my mom has been using it for a while and it has worked wonders. It does help her sleep somewhat, but mostly it has just leveled out her mood. In fact, we can all tell the difference on the days she hasn't taken it.

after 2 months

Posted by Reviewer2301185 on May 04, 2011

I have now been taking one capsule a day, just before bedtime together with st. johns worth and I have to say it works really well and I don´t need anxiolitics almost anymore. I was taking lexatin once or twice a week and feeling nervous more days but now it has been 3 weeks since I took my last lexatin and it feels GREAT!