Sleeping Better, Eating Better

Posted by HawaiianViking on Oct 01, 2012

After taking 100mg of 5-HTP for several weeks, I'm pleasantly surprised by the results. My sleep is much improved; Within about an hour of taking a 100mg capsule of 5-HTP I'm relaxed, sleepy and ready for bed but, thankfully, it's not the same feeling that a person gets after taking a prescription sleep aid. In my waking time, I find that I have little craving for junky, carbohydrate-laden foods. I'm thankful especially that I no longer have a late-night hunger for sugary junk food. My mood hasn't much changed, but depression — of the type caused by brain chemistry — can be a result of a defecit of the neurotransmitters Dopamine, Norepinephrine, and Serotonin. Since 5-HTP works by stimulating the human body's own production of Serotonin, I think that a person must have depressed levels of Serotonin in order for this product to make much difference in their overall quality of life, since depression can involve other neurotransmitters. To those who already take prescription anti-depressants: Please be careful! Consult with your medical professional, since 5-HTP — together with SSRIs — can create dangerous levels of Serotonin in the brain and cause Serotonin Syndrome.

Helps with depression

Posted by Reviewer2835859 on Aug 25, 2010

I take three of the 100 mg. capsules a day and it has really helped with depression. I didn't notice the full effects until about 2-3 weeks, so try to hang in there if you don't feel that it's benefitting much. This was a last attempt before trying another anti-depressant. I was previously on Celexa to help with mood swings/depression while taking high doses of prednisone. I believe this works nearly as well and doesn't have the Celexa side-effects of weight gain and mild personality changes.

Cures the blues

Posted by Reviewer3319121 on May 02, 2008

On the recommendation of other reviewers (thanks) I gave this- in combo with GABA- a try and it helped me. I am going through menopause and trying to stay off HRT. Give it a try. It's cheaper than a shrink and big pharma drugs. You may need those to be sure, but trying this first might do the trick.

5-HTP IS A LIFE SAVER!

Posted by Reviewer1448228 on Nov 21, 2010

I truly feel like this product has changed my life. I suffer from six subtypes of ADHD and this product has helped me beyond belief. As part of my symptoms, typically I can get locked into negative thought paterns, obsessive thinking and various other mental stresses but thanks to 5HTP I can safely say, my thinking has become more positive and feel like i can process my thoughts more easily. My obsessiveness has gone from a 10 to a 4. Thanks IHERB!

Great if you have depression from low serotonin

Posted by Reviewer3262380 on Sep 08, 2013

My husband has had mild depression his whole life. 5-htp really takes the depression away. If you open the capsules and pour out how much you want onto a small plate then lick it off and swish it around your mouth and under your tongue to take it sublingually you are much less likely to get gastrointestinal side effects such as cramping or diarrhea. (serotonin controls gastrointestinal motility so you can get more motility than you want if the 5-htp gets transformed into serotonin in the gut.) We find that taking it sublingually seems to get more of it into the brain and less into the gut so you don't have to take as much. If you are taking the whole capsule you can just open and pour into your mouth. My husband only needs about 25 mg each morning. If he takes it at night his dreams are too vivid. Our son takes it, too, in larger amounts because he has bacteria in his gut that produce a lot of histamine and the histamine creates a situation where his 5-htp is used for another purpose in the body and he doesn't have enough for making serotonin. If he doesn't eat any meat so that the bacteria don't have histidine (the amino acid that histamine is made from) then he feels fine. We are working on getting rid of the bad bacteria so eventually he should not need the 5-htp, but my husband has a gene mutation that makes it harder for him to convert tryptophan into 5-htp so he doesn't seem to make enough of it and taking it as a supplement is the only way around the problem.

Helps with depression

Posted by Reviewer2123273 on Oct 11, 2007

I have had a lifelong struggle with depression, but refused to take artificial antidepressants because of side-effects. 5-HTP is a natural chemical found in foods like turkey. It is a precursor to seratonin, so it gives my body what it needs to make more seratonin, rather than stopping the brain cells from taking it out of the bloodstream. I have not been depressed since I started taking 5-HTP about 3 years ago. I recommend it to everyone who deals with depression. (Though, it isn't appropriate for people who are biopolar. And you shouldn't take it if you are on certain types of medicine.) There is a lot of great literature available. I recommend educating yourself and trying it if you suffer from depression or anxiety, want to lose weight, or quit smoking. It helps with all kinds of serotonin-related problems.

Cured my insomnia

Posted by Reviewer1198980 on Jan 06, 2008

This helps my insomnia tremendously! I work night shift and have a hard time sleeping during the day; I take one of these pills (on an empty stomach) and it puts me to sleep w/in an hour! Even puts me to sleep through the sound of my bf's snoring! amazing stuff!

Works Well

Posted by Reviewer1556927 on Nov 17, 2008

This is my first time buying 5-HTP and all I can say is it works! It has a good mellow type of relaxing feel to it, in a way makes me happier dealing with things. You do have to be careful with how many you take because it did cause nausea like side effects and headaches when my friend took 2 pills (she weighs only 120 pounds). But I take around 3 pills a day and haven't had such pronounced effects. Great Product and Fast shipping and prices from this company!!

Digestion

Posted by Reviewer2167095 on Dec 12, 2011

This has stopped my IBS & improved digestion. My stomach also now rumbles & makes noises when I am hungry or digesting a meal. It has not done that for as long as I can remember. Has also greatly improved my quality of sleep.

best ever for ME !! CURE FOR CONSTIPATION

Posted by Reviewer2624820 on Jun 15, 2011

this thing CURED my chronic constipation OVERNIGHT, no kidding. I had not been to the bathroom without 'help' for 7 MONTHS, and right after beginning w 5htp it ALL went away. my chronic constipation was due to too low serotonin levels, which is why this fixed it so quickly. probiotics were useless... i need 200-300 mg per day