Gifts Best Sellers Specials New Products Product Trials Conditions A-Z

Now Foods, 5-HTP, 100 mg, 120 Vcaps

Worth trying

Posted by girlgonevegan on Jun 16, 2011

I'm a very skeptical person and I tend to think it doesn't help anything, BUT I'm so much happier, lost 4 pounds and I'm sleeping better. Maybe it's just placebo/coincidence, maybe 5-HTP works for real. The bad thing is that I don't want to stop taking it!

Helps me to sleep like a baby

Posted by Reviewer2850810 on Apr 08, 2011

I'm perimenopausal and for the past year was having sleep problems. Although having no difficulty getting to sleep, I'd not fall into a deep enough sleep and so be waking up several times during the night. Oftentimes I wouldn't get back to sleep at all and would lie awake until morning - very annoying and very tiring! I didn't want to take medication and upon doing some research found that 5-HTP can help with sleep problems. I was sceptical, but to my delight found that 5-HTP worked almost straight away. One of these taken before bedtime works a treat, so that now I wake up in the night usually only once (for a bathroom visit) and after can go straight back to sleep again. Occasionally I've slept through the night without taking at all - result! I'm now on my 2nd bottle and will continue taking it. I can't recommend it highly enough to anyone who's suffering from sleep problems similar to what I used to experience.

5-HTP IS A LIFE SAVER!

Posted by Reviewer1448228 on Nov 21, 2010

I truly feel like this product has changed my life. I suffer from six subtypes of ADHD and this product has helped me beyond belief. As part of my symptoms, typically I can get locked into negative thought paterns, obsessive thinking and various other mental stresses but thanks to 5HTP I can safely say, my thinking has become more positive and feel like i can process my thoughts more easily. My obsessiveness has gone from a 10 to a 4. Thanks IHERB!

Helps keep me on the up and up

Posted by diyhealthhunter on Jul 22, 2012

For the past year I have been taking 5-HTP combo with St. Johns wort. I find it relatively hard to explain the positive effects when taking it. The effects of not taking it are what I am aware of. I take it with such regularity I kind of forgot how I used to feel. Was kind of like waking up with it being overcast outside each day. Now even when it is overcast it is partly cloudy at worst and usually partly sunny in my mind. Yes diet, sleep, keeping hydrated etc...all play a part in mental health. I have just noticed that if I forget to take or stop taking for a few days (which i like to do to make sure everything is doing its job) things begin to be less than optimal. I take other things but nothing in that window after digestive enzymes at dinner and when I wake in the morning. I can tell the difference without more so than taking it constantly. I think after time your body gets its levels/base line up and it takes a few days of not having something for it to drop off again. I think it is worth a shot, I found St. Johns wort as a stand alone to be less than effective, together it works for me. I don't take any meds/pharmies nor do I drink etc...so I am fairly in tune with being able to monitor how my body reacts.

Great if you have depression from low serotonin

Posted by Reviewer3262380 on Sep 08, 2013

My husband has had mild depression his whole life. 5-htp really takes the depression away. If you open the capsules and pour out how much you want onto a small plate then lick it off and swish it around your mouth and under your tongue to take it sublingually you are much less likely to get gastrointestinal side effects such as cramping or diarrhea. (serotonin controls gastrointestinal motility so you can get more motility than you want if the 5-htp gets transformed into serotonin in the gut.) We find that taking it sublingually seems to get more of it into the brain and less into the gut so you don't have to take as much. If you are taking the whole capsule you can just open and pour into your mouth. My husband only needs about 25 mg each morning. If he takes it at night his dreams are too vivid. Our son takes it, too, in larger amounts because he has bacteria in his gut that produce a lot of histamine and the histamine creates a situation where his 5-htp is used for another purpose in the body and he doesn't have enough for making serotonin. If he doesn't eat any meat so that the bacteria don't have histidine (the amino acid that histamine is made from) then he feels fine. We are working on getting rid of the bad bacteria so eventually he should not need the 5-htp, but my husband has a gene mutation that makes it harder for him to convert tryptophan into 5-htp so he doesn't seem to make enough of it and taking it as a supplement is the only way around the problem.