Digestion

Posted by Reviewer2167095 on Dec 12, 2011

This has stopped my IBS & improved digestion. My stomach also now rumbles & makes noises when I am hungry or digesting a meal. It has not done that for as long as I can remember. Has also greatly improved my quality of sleep.

results are unclear

Posted by Reviewer2358105 on Feb 11, 2010

I'm not sure if I'm responding to this product. After reading the book The Mood Cure by Julia Ross, I decided that I may be lacking in seratonin. I have been taking one caplet in the afternoon about 1-2hrs. after lunch. I am sleeping through the night for the most part now instead of waking up and not being able to fall back asleep b/c I'm worrying about something going on in my life. So, in that way, this product may be responsible for that improvement. Note: as the instructions on the bottle say, don't take this product with food or just before or after eating. I experienced serious stomach pain (gasey feeling) one day when I accidentally took it with a meal.

best ever for ME !! CURE FOR CONSTIPATION

Posted by Reviewer2624820 on Jun 15, 2011

this thing CURED my chronic constipation OVERNIGHT, no kidding. I had not been to the bathroom without 'help' for 7 MONTHS, and right after beginning w 5htp it ALL went away. my chronic constipation was due to too low serotonin levels, which is why this fixed it so quickly. probiotics were useless... i need 200-300 mg per day

Product Effectiveness

Posted by 5694595453968319568 on Jun 01, 2015

I also search for many researches about how to make brain recovery from illness like Depression or Bipolar Disorder and then I find out the best way is using SSRI (Fluoxetine, Sertralien etc.) but it have many effect like sleep disruption or stimulate more NorE and Dopamine that can trigger to mania phase in Bipolar Disorder patient. 5-HTP is alternative way but It's only increase serotonin in blood and very liitle in brain because of blood-brand berrier moreover there is no evidence that 5-HTP can make brain recovery like the drug. Nevertheless 5-HTP has effective to make mood better, eat less, recovery from depression in some patient etc. its dosage is vary 100-300mg normally, that dosage can stimualte people to feel euphoria or maybe some cases to feel sleepy. If you using 5-HTP I recommend to also use Vitamin B6 (recommend at 60mg per day) and Magnesium (Amino acid chelate is the best form and Mg Oxide is hard is less bioavailability) those supplements will help serotonin synthesis but you should aware using Vitamin B6 in longterm because it can be toxic for your nerves. By the way the effect of 5-HTP is vary in individual patient you should try for start at 50mg a day wait and see the effect about 2 weeks.

Not as much of an old, grumpy man

Posted by Reviewer2001440 on Nov 02, 2006

My daughters told me that I was becoming an old, gumpy man. I have been taking one dose in the morning for several weeks. They told me the other day I was MUCH more fun to be around!

Very Bad Dreams

Posted by Reviewer2251109 on May 01, 2009

First off, this is a review for 5 HTP in general and not necessarily the NOW version of it. NOW is a good brand and I recommend it. 5 HTP works great for some and for others it's not so good. I was on Lexapro for 6 months because I'm so prone to anxiety attacks. It helped a little but the side effects were too much. So I stopped Lexapro and started 5 HTP. During the day I could immediately feel the difference. I felt lighter and less troubled. But the nights were awful. It did not help me to sleep (I also suffer from insomnia) and the entire night I suffered with horrid dreams. Normally I have lovely dreams. But from the 5 HTP I would awake feeling like I hadn't slept because my mind was super active during the night. Last night I finally slept peacefully again because I went without it. Perhaps 50mg would be better than 100mg but they are capsules and I can't exactly break them. If I had purchased it locally at a health food store I could return the rest of the bottle. But from iherb you cannot return it once it's been opened. Be sure not to order a large quantity if you are uncertain whether or not how it will affect you.

Mood booster

Posted by Reviewer2260552 on May 08, 2009

I've taken this supplement for years to fight depression and boost my mood. Despite the advice on the label I take it on an empty stomach in the morning with my morning coffee. The coffee seems to have a synergetic effect with the 5-htp. In the winter I often take it in the afternoon with coffee. If I take it before bed (without coffee!) I find it energizes me, disturbing my sleep.

Good product

Posted by Reviewer3165449 on Feb 21, 2009

This is the third time I have ordered this product. I have found that it really does work for my depression symptoms at a dose of 300 mg. a day. It does not help me sleep, however. Everyone is different and friends of mine have said it makes them too sleepy during the day. It is worth trying if you suffer from mild to moderate depression and don't want to take prescription antidepressant drugs.

Perfect

Posted by Reviewer1411287 on Mar 30, 2009

This stuff has saved my life! No more synthetic, doctor-prescribed, side affect ridden junk for me! My seretonin is balanced, my energy is back, my drive and zest for life has returned and I couldn't be more pleased with the fact that it's MUCH cheaper than the doctor's prescription!!!

Now Foods 5-HtP

Posted by Reviewer3302269 on Jun 10, 2011

The price is very good compared to other brands. I have a lot of all-over myofacial pain probably from Fibro and other conditions. I weaned off of an antidepressant that helped with pain because that drug was causing me anxiety. The 5-HTP helped keep that general pain away and helped me to sleep much better. My mood seems to be much more even too. I switched briefly to L-tryptophan, thinking it would be more direct, but it didn't work and all the symptoms came back until I went back on 5-HTP. 'Now' 5-HTP does not have Magnesium Stearate, which some research shows can cause supplements to be ineffective-also a plus if that research is true.