10% Off Orders Over $40!

Now Foods, 5-HTP, 100 mg, 120 Vcaps

Now Foods 5-HtP

Posted by Reviewer3302269 on Jun 10, 2011

The price is very good compared to other brands. I have a lot of all-over myofacial pain probably from Fibro and other conditions. I weaned off of an antidepressant that helped with pain because that drug was causing me anxiety. The 5-HTP helped keep that general pain away and helped me to sleep much better. My mood seems to be much more even too. I switched briefly to L-tryptophan, thinking it would be more direct, but it didn't work and all the symptoms came back until I went back on 5-HTP. 'Now' 5-HTP does not have Magnesium Stearate, which some research shows can cause supplements to be ineffective-also a plus if that research is true.

Digestion

Posted by Reviewer2167095 on Dec 12, 2011

This has stopped my IBS & improved digestion. My stomach also now rumbles & makes noises when I am hungry or digesting a meal. It has not done that for as long as I can remember. Has also greatly improved my quality of sleep.

results are unclear

Posted by Reviewer2358105 on Feb 11, 2010

I'm not sure if I'm responding to this product. After reading the book The Mood Cure by Julia Ross, I decided that I may be lacking in seratonin. I have been taking one caplet in the afternoon about 1-2hrs. after lunch. I am sleeping through the night for the most part now instead of waking up and not being able to fall back asleep b/c I'm worrying about something going on in my life. So, in that way, this product may be responsible for that improvement. Note: as the instructions on the bottle say, don't take this product with food or just before or after eating. I experienced serious stomach pain (gasey feeling) one day when I accidentally took it with a meal.

Mood booster

Posted by Reviewer2260552 on May 08, 2009

I've taken this supplement for years to fight depression and boost my mood. Despite the advice on the label I take it on an empty stomach in the morning with my morning coffee. The coffee seems to have a synergetic effect with the 5-htp. In the winter I often take it in the afternoon with coffee. If I take it before bed (without coffee!) I find it energizes me, disturbing my sleep.

Very Bad Dreams

Posted by Reviewer2251109 on May 01, 2009

First off, this is a review for 5 HTP in general and not necessarily the NOW version of it. NOW is a good brand and I recommend it. 5 HTP works great for some and for others it's not so good. I was on Lexapro for 6 months because I'm so prone to anxiety attacks. It helped a little but the side effects were too much. So I stopped Lexapro and started 5 HTP. During the day I could immediately feel the difference. I felt lighter and less troubled. But the nights were awful. It did not help me to sleep (I also suffer from insomnia) and the entire night I suffered with horrid dreams. Normally I have lovely dreams. But from the 5 HTP I would awake feeling like I hadn't slept because my mind was super active during the night. Last night I finally slept peacefully again because I went without it. Perhaps 50mg would be better than 100mg but they are capsules and I can't exactly break them. If I had purchased it locally at a health food store I could return the rest of the bottle. But from iherb you cannot return it once it's been opened. Be sure not to order a large quantity if you are uncertain whether or not how it will affect you.