| English
| USD ($)

Now Foods, 5-HTP, 100 mg, 120 Vcaps

Not as much of an old, grumpy man

Posted by Reviewer2001440 on Nov 02, 2006

My daughters told me that I was becoming an old, gumpy man. I have been taking one dose in the morning for several weeks. They told me the other day I was MUCH more fun to be around!

results are unclear

Posted by Reviewer2358105 on Feb 11, 2010

I'm not sure if I'm responding to this product. After reading the book The Mood Cure by Julia Ross, I decided that I may be lacking in seratonin. I have been taking one caplet in the afternoon about 1-2hrs. after lunch. I am sleeping through the night for the most part now instead of waking up and not being able to fall back asleep b/c I'm worrying about something going on in my life. So, in that way, this product may be responsible for that improvement. Note: as the instructions on the bottle say, don't take this product with food or just before or after eating. I experienced serious stomach pain (gasey feeling) one day when I accidentally took it with a meal.

Now Foods 5-HtP

Posted by Reviewer3302269 on Jun 10, 2011

The price is very good compared to other brands. I have a lot of all-over myofacial pain probably from Fibro and other conditions. I weaned off of an antidepressant that helped with pain because that drug was causing me anxiety. The 5-HTP helped keep that general pain away and helped me to sleep much better. My mood seems to be much more even too. I switched briefly to L-tryptophan, thinking it would be more direct, but it didn't work and all the symptoms came back until I went back on 5-HTP. 'Now' 5-HTP does not have Magnesium Stearate, which some research shows can cause supplements to be ineffective-also a plus if that research is true.

Good product

Posted by Reviewer3165449 on Feb 21, 2009

This is the third time I have ordered this product. I have found that it really does work for my depression symptoms at a dose of 300 mg. a day. It does not help me sleep, however. Everyone is different and friends of mine have said it makes them too sleepy during the day. It is worth trying if you suffer from mild to moderate depression and don't want to take prescription antidepressant drugs.

Mood booster

Posted by Reviewer2260552 on May 08, 2009

I've taken this supplement for years to fight depression and boost my mood. Despite the advice on the label I take it on an empty stomach in the morning with my morning coffee. The coffee seems to have a synergetic effect with the 5-htp. In the winter I often take it in the afternoon with coffee. If I take it before bed (without coffee!) I find it energizes me, disturbing my sleep.