Great if you have depression from low serotonin

Posted by Reviewer3262380 on Sep 08, 2013

My husband has had mild depression his whole life. 5-htp really takes the depression away. If you open the capsules and pour out how much you want onto a small plate then lick it off and swish it around your mouth and under your tongue to take it sublingually you are much less likely to get gastrointestinal side effects such as cramping or diarrhea. (serotonin controls gastrointestinal motility so you can get more motility than you want if the 5-htp gets transformed into serotonin in the gut.) We find that taking it sublingually seems to get more of it into the brain and less into the gut so you don't have to take as much. If you are taking the whole capsule you can just open and pour into your mouth. My husband only needs about 25 mg each morning. If he takes it at night his dreams are too vivid. Our son takes it, too, in larger amounts because he has bacteria in his gut that produce a lot of histamine and the histamine creates a situation where his 5-htp is used for another purpose in the body and he doesn't have enough for making serotonin. If he doesn't eat any meat so that the bacteria don't have histidine (the amino acid that histamine is made from) then he feels fine. We are working on getting rid of the bad bacteria so eventually he should not need the 5-htp, but my husband has a gene mutation that makes it harder for him to convert tryptophan into 5-htp so he doesn't seem to make enough of it and taking it as a supplement is the only way around the problem.

5-HTP IS A LIFE SAVER!

Posted by Reviewer1448228 on Nov 21, 2010

I truly feel like this product has changed my life. I suffer from six subtypes of ADHD and this product has helped me beyond belief. As part of my symptoms, typically I can get locked into negative thought paterns, obsessive thinking and various other mental stresses but thanks to 5HTP I can safely say, my thinking has become more positive and feel like i can process my thoughts more easily. My obsessiveness has gone from a 10 to a 4. Thanks IHERB!

best ever for ME !! CURE FOR CONSTIPATION

Posted by Reviewer2624820 on Jun 15, 2011

this thing CURED my chronic constipation OVERNIGHT, no kidding. I had not been to the bathroom without 'help' for 7 MONTHS, and right after beginning w 5htp it ALL went away. my chronic constipation was due to too low serotonin levels, which is why this fixed it so quickly. probiotics were useless... i need 200-300 mg per day

Product Effectiveness

Posted by 5694595453968319568 on Jun 01, 2015

I also search for many researches about how to make brain recovery from illness like Depression or Bipolar Disorder and then I find out the best way is using SSRI (Fluoxetine, Sertralien etc.) but it have many effect like sleep disruption or stimulate more NorE and Dopamine that can trigger to mania phase in Bipolar Disorder patient. 5-HTP is alternative way but It's only increase serotonin in blood and very liitle in brain because of blood-brand berrier moreover there is no evidence that 5-HTP can make brain recovery like the drug. Nevertheless 5-HTP has effective to make mood better, eat less, recovery from depression in some patient etc. its dosage is vary 100-300mg normally, that dosage can stimualte people to feel euphoria or maybe some cases to feel sleepy. If you using 5-HTP I recommend to also use Vitamin B6 (recommend at 60mg per day) and Magnesium (Amino acid chelate is the best form and Mg Oxide is hard is less bioavailability) those supplements will help serotonin synthesis but you should aware using Vitamin B6 in longterm because it can be toxic for your nerves. By the way the effect of 5-HTP is vary in individual patient you should try for start at 50mg a day wait and see the effect about 2 weeks.

Not as much of an old, grumpy man

Posted by Reviewer2001440 on Nov 02, 2006

My daughters told me that I was becoming an old, gumpy man. I have been taking one dose in the morning for several weeks. They told me the other day I was MUCH more fun to be around!