Sleeping Better, Eating Better

Posted by HawaiianViking on Oct 01, 2012

After taking 100mg of 5-HTP for several weeks, I'm pleasantly surprised by the results. My sleep is much improved; Within about an hour of taking a 100mg capsule of 5-HTP I'm relaxed, sleepy and ready for bed but, thankfully, it's not the same feeling that a person gets after taking a prescription sleep aid. In my waking time, I find that I have little craving for junky, carbohydrate-laden foods. I'm thankful especially that I no longer have a late-night hunger for sugary junk food. My mood hasn't much changed, but depression — of the type caused by brain chemistry — can be a result of a defecit of the neurotransmitters Dopamine, Norepinephrine, and Serotonin. Since 5-HTP works by stimulating the human body's own production of Serotonin, I think that a person must have depressed levels of Serotonin in order for this product to make much difference in their overall quality of life, since depression can involve other neurotransmitters. To those who already take prescription anti-depressants: Please be careful! Consult with your medical professional, since 5-HTP — together with SSRIs — can create dangerous levels of Serotonin in the brain and cause Serotonin Syndrome.

Help you with depression and insomnia

Posted by Romero on Sep 27, 2012

One of the best natural solutions for depression and insomnia.

Seems to be helping

Posted by BlueMountaineer on Sep 24, 2012

Taking 2 x 5HTP per day along with a bunch of other nutrients for long-standing conditions which only just discovered. State of mind definitely improved but not sure how much this is contributing to feeling better. It helps the body produce serotonin so I can only assume I have a lot more of that now, hence improved mood. I would recommend it as alternative to SSRIs especially if you know your serotonin is low.

good

Posted by YanaSH on Sep 01, 2012

I take it for 3 weeks. I think that I have of him is a positive effect, but not absolutely. Probably need to have passed more time to say for sure.

Helps Ease Anxiety and OCD Thoughts and Rituals

Posted by rabbit on Aug 30, 2012

I have taken this brand of 5-HTP for years and it has greatly improved my quality of life. It cured my insomnia and I am now able to sleep through the night. It has helped immensely in lessening my depression. It also helps ease anxiety as well as OCD (Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder) thoughts and rituals. In some ways, it works immediately - The first time that I took the 5-HTP, in about 30 minutes, I felt euphoric - happy, relaxed, and sleepy. I slept through the night, and still do. It was a relief to know that it worked that fast. It takes maybe three to four weeks to notice more permanent changes in mood, like an all-day improvement in depression, instead of the immediate effect that it has after you take it because it is leveling out the seratonin/melatonin levels in the brain. In regard to my OCD, I notice that I have fewer intrusive thoughts and feel less of a need to constantly check things to ensure that they feel right. 5-HTP has been compared to traditional anti-depressants, with relatively no side effects. For a week or two you may have intense and vivid dreams. I also had increased headaches for the first week or two, but after that it significantly reduced my migraines. I take only one capsule (100 mg) a day at night before bed. (The recommended time to take it is about a half hour to an hour before bedtime.) I fully recommend this product because it really has done wonders for me.

Deeper sleap and many other purposes

Posted by bornsloppy on Aug 24, 2012

This product makes you relax and gives a better and deeper sleep during the night. Combine with B-vitamin complex and Magnesium or Magnesium-Calcium for stress relief. Take it in the afternoon or evening. Raises your serototin level, makes you a bit happier. One interesting thing is that a customer came to the shop where I work and she told us that she use it for PMS. Look in to that if you have those kinds of problems.

Great product

Posted by TheSoulfulSpoon on Aug 18, 2012

This product is a must have for me. I have battled with depression and overeating all my life and this product WORKS> it does not simply make you not hungry, but gives you a more positive outlook and really takes the "blues" feelings away that can lead to a crummy eating lifestyle and depression proned activities like overeating. I take 2 in the morning before breakfast and 2 before dinner. I also sleep better too.

Good for life controling

Posted by 4993377861818758552 on Aug 16, 2012

It's not a medicine. I knew it before I bought it. I ate it about 2 weeks and it works properly.

5-HTP and postpartum depression.

Posted by Reviewer1454918 on Jul 31, 2012

I was diagnosed with depression before I got pregnant and had to get off of my medication while I was pregnant. I am breastfeeding and did not want to get back on antidepressants or Xanax so I found 5-HTP and I have not had postpartum depression or blues. I will never use antidepressants or Xanax again. 5-HTP worked for me and does not make me groggy or tiered even through my Kate night feedings. My OBGYN said that it was perfectly safe to take while breastfeeding aswell.

Didn't work

Posted by HealthyGuy on Jul 27, 2012

I tried this product to see if it is different from Dr. Best and it is, but in a negative way. I'm not sure what the reason was (maybe the filler used, the capsule or a different source of 5-htp) but it just didn't work for me. Perhaps my body just didn't absorb it. I have tried different kinds of 5-htp and Dr. Best is the best! But, give this a try if others haven't worked for you. It might.