5-HTP and postpartum depression.

Posted by Reviewer1454918 on Jul 31, 2012

I was diagnosed with depression before I got pregnant and had to get off of my medication while I was pregnant. I am breastfeeding and did not want to get back on antidepressants or Xanax so I found 5-HTP and I have not had postpartum depression or blues. I will never use antidepressants or Xanax again. 5-HTP worked for me and does not make me groggy or tiered even through my Kate night feedings. My OBGYN said that it was perfectly safe to take while breastfeeding aswell.

Quality Product!

Posted by Reviewer2623455 on May 08, 2008

I have tried other brands of 5HTP and prefer Now Foods.

Great Product

Posted by Reviewer3158176 on May 06, 2010

Dramatic effect. Moods and irritability transformed. Life changer for the rest of the family.Highly recommend if you're trying to avoid medication.

Always a basic.

Posted by Reviewer3191602 on May 01, 2008

Not a day goes by without a 5-HTP. I have severe clinical depression and it's treated beautifully with this and St. John's Wort. My husband takes it too. The pharmaceutical antidepressants have too many side effects for me.

Very good.

Posted by Reviewer2245885 on Dec 05, 2009

Definetly has pos. effect on mood,outlook and quality of sleep. Appears to diminish appetite too. Does effect dreams. Need to be careful with the dosage as I have experienced some GI upset/effects;but was taking a high dosage(300mg) BID.Will cut back and add Tyrosine back to regime to balance neurotransmitter synthesis.

not as clear as other brand

Posted by Reviewer1386476 on Sep 17, 2008

My Dr. recommended 5 HTP for foggy thinking. My first purchase was Natural Balance brand 50 mg. It worked GREAT. I decided to try NOW because I use one of their multi's and have been pleased. But after taking this at 100 mg I am not as clear as I was on the NB brand, although I am better than I was before using anything. I will go back to NB after this.

5 HTP

Posted by Reviewer2721337 on Sep 24, 2008

I haven't been taking this product long enough (about two weeks) to really know if it has the advertised effect on me. I am confused by the directions for taking this brand of 5-HTP as compared to other brands; this one directs the user to take one at bedtime on an empty stomach, my previous brand directs the user to take one 3 - 4 time daily with food; another brand I researched directs the user to take one 2 - 3 times daily with or without food.

Doesn`t work

Posted by Reviewer2552574 on Mar 09, 2012

I have major depressive disorder and this stuff absolutely doesn`t work. I have just nausea and vivid dreams :(.

drowziness

Posted by Reviewer2400692 on Mar 04, 2009

hi from sweden everything with iherb went perfect and i will continue order from the company, good job iherb. now to the 5-htp.. it made me feel drowzy, tired and sick to my stomach, also i small increase in heartrate. i tok 200mg now i have to take 100 every morning, i will give it a couple of weeks and then quit if it doesnt get better.

Helps me sleep

Posted by Reviewer2407880 on Feb 01, 2010

Now 5-HTP works as well as the more expensive equivalent my Naturopath prescribed. Same effect for less money. What's not to like.