The best product I have ever taken!

Posted by Reviewer1656749 on Jun 12, 2008

I used to suffer from clinical depression, however, for years I didn't respond to any of the conventional medications. After a long research I learned about 5HTP and I have been taking it on and off for 15 years now. I don't suffer from chronic depression anymore but every once in a while I might get an episode here and there, and when that happens I take 5HTP. I take 50mg 1hr before I go to bed with a glass of water (from all the research I have done it's not recommended to have milk because it might interfere with the absorption). From my research it is recommended a person starts taking 50mg for 5 days then if needed go up to 100mg. I have always taken 50mg; it has worked the best for me. I'm not a doctor, but I am a person that knows quite well what it means to suffer from depression for many, many years and when all medications failed, 5HTP always helped me. And the best part is that it's all natural and you see results immediately. Many blessings to you on your journey to recovery. claudia

Great for serotonin-related depression

Posted by Reviewer2575097 on Jan 13, 2012

Works nearly as good as the Effexor antidepressant that I used to take. You need to take a break from it now and then, I usually take 2 days off a week. It makes me much less hostile towards other people and more lighthearted, good for self-confidence as well. If you're taking it long-term, you usually need to balance it out with something for dopamine like L-Tyrosine in the morning as well though as dopamine and serotonin balance each other out in the body. Otherwise you may make your dopamine low which may make you feel depressed, tired or spacey. So if your depression is caused by low dopamine and not low serotonin, this may make you feel worse. As long as you know how to take it properly, it's a great supplement. To make it work properly, you should take a Vitamin B complex or a multivitamin in the morning as well.

5-htp - Good Stuff!

Posted by Reviewer2913460 on Sep 20, 2009

I decided to stop using Prozac & my friend said I could use 5-htp instead. I just started the 5-htp & already I have no more debilitating headaches. Also, I'm starting to shed the unwanted pounds I gained from the Prozac. I know I must be patient to give the 5-htp more time to really get into my system, but I feel like it will take care of the depression without the side effects I experienced with Prozac. I'm grateful to my friend for letting me know about 5-htp. iHerb.com sends their products out in a very timely manner, as well.

htp is awesome

Posted by Reviewer3157278 on Mar 29, 2008

5-htp is great for hot flashes (menopause), depression symptoms, mood enhancement, etc. I highly recommend it. I know of people who have weaned themselves from anti-depressants and are now taking htp with no side effects. They are very pleased with the results.

Sleeping so much better now

Posted by Reviewer2331338 on Apr 26, 2007

I've been taking 5-htp for some time now,on and off, for sleep issues (waking a lot, not staying in a deep sleep, not sleeping at all. you name it). It wasnt until this particular brand that I have had consistent sleep now for almost a month (first time in years). I still wake some, but my sleep is deeper and I actually dream. And less grogginess during the day--more energy. I've only been taking one 50mg a night, about an hour before bedtime. So far so good!

Very good product!

Posted by Reviewer2685637 on May 13, 2009

I use 2 in the afternoon if I am feeling stressed and two 30-60 minutes before bed to help produce a restful sleep. 5-HTP definitely relaxes me and gives me a sense of well being and balance. 50mg make it easy to adjust doses. I add GABA 100mg for a deeper sleep and during very stressful periods of time.

Use Everyday

Posted by Reviewer1991595 on Apr 18, 2010

Recommended for O blood types by Dr. D'Adamo. Makes a huge difference in my dopamine levels! Feel horrible without it. No anxiety now.

Great Product

Posted by Reviewer1654617 on Dec 14, 2011

I was suffering from severe anxiety along with depression a few months ago but was hesitant to try the SSRI's that would have been prescribed by my doctor (I've heard nothing but horror stories about side effects, etc.) I thought I'd try 5-htp as a last ditch measure before going on an SSRI, and am I ever glad I did. The only side effects I had were over the first few days, just sleepiness, which was tolerable after I cut back the dose a little. When the sleepiness subsided, I faithfully continued to take 2 of the capsules a day, one in the am, the other before bed. I honestly felt no effect from them for about 4 weeks...and then it was like the sun came out. I feel energetic and optimistic yet relaxed, all the more remarkable because it's December and even at my best, I'm prone to mild SAD-like symptoms at this time of year. I am so happy I tried 5-htp.

Works for me.

Posted by Reviewer3294199 on Apr 14, 2010

I tried other brands that didn't seem to work. This one works for me.

HAPPY again <3

Posted by AnnaLL on Apr 24, 2013

I have been struggling with depression on and off for more than 10 years. Not wanting to use anti-depressants, I was recommended this by my new Doc. I swear I will kiss him next time I see him; I am feeling SO much better and I am so very very grateful.