Now Foods, Betaine HCL, 648 mg, 120 Capsules

Reviews 4-star

Tried HCl again after many years, and it works

Posted by Umbridge on May 12, 2013

I am very skeptical of digestive enzymes, and of a lot of the crap on the internet about complementary therapies. However, I have IBS and recently had SIBO (which thankfully was cleared up by antibiotics), so I thought I would give this a try to make sure the SIBO doesn't come back and keep my IBS symptoms at bay (along with a low FODMAP diet). I have to say that this supplement works really well for me. I am now taking it in combination with peppermint + oregano oil, but I took it by itself first, and I would say this is the more effective of the two. I don't find that the other digestive enzymes work all that well - rather, I am better off controlling my diet - but these really seem to take some of the burden off for those of us with sluggish digestion. I tried HCl about 10 years ago with no success, so I am not sure if it's this brand that is better, changing circumstances, or the addition of Betaine that makes these work. Whatever it is, I have purchased again, and plan to use them while I recover from the digestive woes of several months of travel!

recommended - one of the better HCl caps out there

Posted by IHeartIHerb on Jun 30, 2013

i can't be 100% sure what's going on down there in my stomach and whether or not my low HCl has been resolved... however i will say that i do notice a difference when i take these with meat/high protein meals (i use the digestive enzymes for high carb meals). there does seem to be something happening (versus the food 'just sitting there' in my stomach when i don't take these). i think i had/have really low HCl because i've taken up to 10 of these per meal (steak dinner or very high protein meal) with zero burning sensation. i'm a fan of Now products in general. they definitely are superior to a lot of other brands out there in terms of fewer additives and fillers. however i'm not a fan of the v-caps -- or "cellulose" -- you're essentially ingesting plastic! and i wish they would stop putting so much magnesium stearate in their pills.

It does its job

Posted by Reviewer1020792 on Jul 29, 2013

Very strong due to the potency. It was to strong for me, gave me diarrhea.

Betaine HCL

Posted by Reviewer2345336 on Aug 06, 2013

Good value for money. Do they do the trick? I guess so. Doctors advice, so I take them. I actually have to take 5 with each meal and still no burning. I have to increase them to actually see how many I need, before I feel a warming sensation in my guts/chest.

Helps

Posted by 5727552804325860133 on Oct 02, 2013

Definitely helps with my digestion. I'm finding that I need less of it now. Not sure why, but that's a good thing. I started about a year ago taking 2 or 3 capsules - if you feel a little burn like reflux it is too much. Now I just need one.