Now Foods, Certified Organic Spirulina, 500 mg, 180 Tablets

Reviews 4-star

Now Foods Organic Spirulina

Posted by Reviewer2228158 on Jul 21, 2011

Great supplement for overall health.Also glad to be able to purchase an organic spirulina and very pleased with the quality of Now supplements.

great product

Posted by Reviewer1771883 on Nov 27, 2011

I was so afraid to try it due to all of the warnings on any kind of seaweed. So many can be contaminated and cause serious reactions because it absorbs toxins from the water where it grows. Did so much research hoping for a pure, safe and tested product. My teenage kids take half the recommended dosage. No one has had any reaction or has gotten sick from it. Only 4 stars due to difficulty mixing. But it's pure. No junk added. Although next time I will order the tablets. If you don't smell it, the taste is much more bareable in my opinion. So I tell my kids to try not to inhale while drinking it. Read a comment that it only dissolves in warm water. That has been true for me. No matter what I mixed it with, nothing else worked. Then mix with juice to help the taste. Will try with yogurt next.

Smell is awfull

Posted by Reviewer1404902 on Feb 14, 2012

but this really works. And despite a taste my toddler takes one too.

Very good

Posted by Reviewer1685060 on Sep 26, 2013

I am very satisfied with this product. (It's the only brand of spirulina I've tried) I had low levels of B12, and my levels wouldnt't rise properly with regular vitamins, but this stuff is great, and really works! I was advised to start with 1 tablet a day, and gradually increase up to 6 a day so that my stomach wouldn't get upset. I also feel I have so much more energy, but that could ofcourse be because my B12 levels are normal again ;) Recommend! After a while of using spirulina, I started taking them together with Chlorella; Great combination!

Mixed results

Posted by Reviewer1622002 on Feb 23, 2015

This was my first experience taking spirulina, and I wasn't sure what to expect. The suggested dosage is 6/day. I started out taking one the first day, and over about ten days worked up to 2 twice a day. I felt better than I have in a long time, noticeable increase in energy level to the point that I realized quickly I can't take this past afternoon and still sleep well. However, after a couple of days at 4/day, the acne hit. I do have breakouts from time to time, but this was different and initially I couldn't figure out what was going on. I Googled spirulina side effects, and sure enough there were many people who said they had the same reaction. Spirulina, like many other sea products, is very high in iodine, and what your body doesn't need it excretes, through both urine and sweat. Unfortunately, it seems many people are sensitive to it and it causes inflammation in the pores, causing acne. So I quit taking it and within a day the breakout had cleared. I'm disappointed because it made me feel great, so I'm experimenting with taking a lower dosage. The quality of this product is great, but I gave only 4 stars because of the reaction. Oh, and other reviewers commented on the taste. Seaweed isn't going to taste like candy, but I've got a pretty sensitive palate and these aren't bad. A big gulp of water and they're down, no aftertaste or burping like fish oil. I think those people are used to Flintstones or something.