Best Sellers Specials New Products Product Trials Clearance

Now Foods, L-Tryptophan, 500 mg, 120 Veggie Caps

Best natural anti depressant!

4 peope found the following review helpful

Posted by Reviewer2193674 on Jan 24, 2009

Have been using this for a couple of years as a natural anti depressant. NO SIDE EFFECTS and is not addictive like prescription meds. I work in a health food store and recommend this to customers looking for mood support, appetite control, sleep aid, etc.

sleep aid

3 peope found the following review helpful

Posted by Reviewer2796695 on May 28, 2008

I used Drs. Best and loved it, they doubled the price recently so I tried this and this is just as good at a lower price, plus I don't have to try and dissolve powders as it is in capsule form

Maybe a good product but not for me

3 peope found the following review helpful

Posted by 4978545617610769518 on Mar 07, 2013

Firstly I bought this product to help me relax and also because the description states “L-Tryptophan is an essential amino acid important in human nutrition for the synthesis of melatonin and serotonin, hormones regulating mood and stress response” I tried one tablet the first night, I had broken sleep and nightmares (which I never usually have) I felt tired and lethargic the next day and was very highly strung, my mood was all over the place from being angry and stressed to crying. Two weeks later I tried a ¼ of the capsule (splitting the powder into another four empty capsules) so not to have such a big dosage, I had the same reaction as above being angry and very emotional, I had to call my mother to help me focus and try to calm down, I was on edge after both episodes for a few days after taking this product. I was very disappointed with L-Tryptophan as I thought it was going to help me with being anxious, not make me worse to the point where I felt I had lost control. I am sure it does help many people, but as we are all different, it didn’t help me but made my situation worse. I also love the NOW foods brand, don’t get me wrong, nearly all my other vitamins are from NOW as they do have a fantastic pure products and I would be lost without the Magnesium Citrate powder in particular and also purchase the C-1000, 250 Tablets and their Amino-9 Essentials Powder.

Very pleased - Take with Vitamin B6 P-5-P for maximum results.

7 peope found the following review helpful

Posted by Reviewer1990660 on May 04, 2010

I love L-Tryptophan!! It's been really nice for my anxiety and depression. I'm weaning off Celexa and Valium and this has been allowing me to do so without flipping out. (IMPORTANT: Be sure to consult your physician before taking this with any anti-depressant as the combo can be toxic!) The first couple doses did make me a bit tired during the day but my body adjusted and now the tiredness has turned into a general calm. I definitely notice when I forget to take these regularly. For best effects, take these either an empty stomach or with some complex carbs. Do not take with protein or shortly before or after eating protein. Also Vitamin B6 P-5-P (Pridoxal 5' Phosphate) is essential for maximum absorption, not only for L-Tryptophan but many other amino acids. Chances are your Vitamin B Complex does NOT have the P-5-P version of B6. Mine didn't and I had to order it separately, but it was well worth it! I could really tell the difference in effectiveness!

Helps me sleep and wake up happy

2 peope found the following review helpful

Posted by danarm on Jul 17, 2013

Tryptophan is a precursor of serotonin (the happy hormone) and melatonin (the sleep hormone). So, if you take it, your brain will make both melatonin (to help you fall asleep) and serotonin (to make you happy). I take 4-6 pills (2-3 grams) of Tryptophan every night. It gets me to sleep and keeps me sleeping better than Melatonin. I wake up happy and energetic as a result of serotonin production. It also produces sleep entrainment (if you take it at 10 PM, you will fall asleep at 10-11 PM, even if you stop taking it). After some time, it loses it's effect, and I have to switch to something else periodically. This is because there are some enzymes which break down tryptophan. The normal quantity of Trypthopan taken in through diet is 1.5-2 g. May reduce carbohydrate consumption. Most people overeat carbohydrates because carbs help tryptophan cross the blood-brain barrier (BBB). When obese patients were given 1,000 mg, 2,000 mg, or 3,000 mg doses of L-tryptophan one hour before meals to raise the amount of tryptophan, a significant decrease in caloric consumption was observed. The majority of the reduction in caloric intake was due to the amount of carbohydrates, not protein, consumed.