Now Foods, L-Tryptophan, 500 mg, 120 Veggie Caps

L-tryptophan

Posted by Reviewer3260843 on Jan 23, 2009

I find that this helps me to sleep deeper and if I awaken I am able to get back to sleep.

Best natural anti depressant!

Posted by Reviewer2193674 on Jan 24, 2009

Have been using this for a couple of years as a natural anti depressant. NO SIDE EFFECTS and is not addictive like prescription meds. I work in a health food store and recommend this to customers looking for mood support, appetite control, sleep aid, etc.

Limited effectiveness and side effects

Posted by Reviewer2718450 on Aug 30, 2012

Made my wife drowsy, but the sleep quality was poor. The grogginess would continue all through the morning until the afternoon. This was on only 1 tablet per night.

sleep aid

Posted by Reviewer2796695 on May 28, 2008

I used Drs. Best and loved it, they doubled the price recently so I tried this and this is just as good at a lower price, plus I don't have to try and dissolve powders as it is in capsule form

Helps me sleep and wake up happy

Posted by danarm on Jul 17, 2013

Tryptophan is a precursor of serotonin (the happy hormone) and melatonin (the sleep hormone). So, if you take it, your brain will make both melatonin (to help you fall asleep) and serotonin (to make you happy). I take 4-6 pills (2-3 grams) of Tryptophan every night. It gets me to sleep and keeps me sleeping better than Melatonin. I wake up happy and energetic as a result of serotonin production. It also produces sleep entrainment (if you take it at 10 PM, you will fall asleep at 10-11 PM, even if you stop taking it). After some time, it loses it's effect, and I have to switch to something else periodically. This is because there are some enzymes which break down tryptophan. The normal quantity of Trypthopan taken in through diet is 1.5-2 g. May reduce carbohydrate consumption. Most people overeat carbohydrates because carbs help tryptophan cross the blood-brain barrier (BBB). When obese patients were given 1,000 mg, 2,000 mg, or 3,000 mg doses of L-tryptophan one hour before meals to raise the amount of tryptophan, a significant decrease in caloric consumption was observed. The majority of the reduction in caloric intake was due to the amount of carbohydrates, not protein, consumed.