July Special - Free International Shipping for orders over $40.00!

Now Foods, Pea Protein, Natural Unflavored, 2 lbs (907 g)

Reviews 5-star

This is literally an answer to my protein prayer!

Posted by MichelX on Dec 01, 2010

Even though I am a vegetarian who eats eggs and limited dairy (organic cottage cheese mostly) which I am trying to eliminate, I find it hard to get enough protein without adding too many calories and/or carbs to go along with it. I work out A LOT at the gym and my life is one big diet to stay slender. So, I've been searching for an extra protein I could add in without excess calories, fat, carbs.... THIS IS GREAT! I put off trying it for so long because I kept reading people say that the smell is awful and the taste is worse. That they can't mask the taste no matter what they do. It also seemed that all these people were trying to blend it into sweet things, like smoothies and such. I never even bothered to try and put this in something sweet! It's from a vegetable after all :) I have made it two ways so far. One, which is the easiest, is to mix it into soup. It thickens it, makes it more of a meal and I don't have much more in the way of calories. The second way, is that I made veggie burgers with it! It ups the protein content of the recipe and gives it much more substance. P.S. I don't really smell anything, let alone a foul smell. For me, this has been AWESOME and great post workout. I hope this helps someone who has my same issues :) (Great price for a HUGE size of protein powder of any kind!)

Great alternative to Soy & Whey

Posted by Reviewer3033613 on Aug 21, 2009

I don't like to take soy or whey based recovery drinks (hard time to digest). Pea Protein is a wonderful alternative for me and I don't have to make any compromises in terms of supplying my body with enough protein. I love it, and it's extremely filling.

Better amino profile combined w/ rice protein; great flavor in V8

Posted by Reviewer2928766 on Nov 21, 2012

Many vegetarians seeking to maximize their protein intake are familiar with the idea of combining foods which compliment one another's amino acid deficiencies. Combinations like rice + beans or peanut butter + wheat bread provide protein with an amino acid spectrum closer to that of meat than either food does on its own. In keeping with this idea, I combine this stuff with a roughly equal amount of unflavored rice protein. I believe the result is a higher quality protein; for instance, looking at the labels, the rice protein has about 3 times as much methionine per unit as the pea protein (legumes are typically low in methionine), while the pea protein has about twice as much lysine as the rice (grains are typically low in lysine). I have been waiting for someone like Now foods to take up this idea and offer a protein powder derived from multiple vegetable sources for an improved amino profile. Something else I'd like to say about this stuff is: not only does it dissolve easily when mixed, without foaming up; it also seems to improve the solubility of the rice protein powder and other powders I mix it with. I actually pre-mix the powders, just to avoid having to open up 4 different jars every time I make a protein shake. I take an oversized 2 gal container and combine the 2 lbs of pea protein with 1.5 lbs of rice protein, plus about 1 lb of Now "Carbo-Gain" maltodextrin (I currently need the extra calories) and a very little bit of calcium/magnesium citrate powder. The rice protein, calcium, and (worst of all) maltodextrin powders all like to clump on their own, but not when pre-mixed into the slightly-coarse pea protein. It all dissolves easily in a regular drink shaker w/ no agitator insert. Finally, about the flavor: I have spent a lifetime choking down various unpalatable protein powders -- mostly flavored and unflavored soy and whey proteins. The flavors and textures I've encountered have ranged from mildly unpleasant to nauseating. Swallowing a protein shake always used to require a minor act of will. But mixed into low-sodium vegetable juice, this pea and rice protein combo I have been using is actually pretty delicious. It honestly tastes like some kind of veggie soup. It's good with or without the maltodextrin, which adds a slight sweetness. I have mixed it with grapefruit and orange juice too; the combination of flavors is a little peculiar... little bit unpleasant. I try to stick with the veggie juice.

Posted by Reviewer2366180 on Feb 16, 2009

Great source of vegetable protein. My recipe is 2 scoops, with 4 tbsp cocoa powder, 4-6 packets of SweetLeaf (i.e., stevia), and 16 fl. oz water.

TRY PEA PROTEIN AS A SUBSTITUTE FOR WHEY OR RICE PROTEIN

Posted by Reviewer2929693 on Jun 13, 2009

This product is great when mixing in water; juice; or milk...it mixes easily and quickly and once you get past the smell (but you should really be driking and not smelling it), its good to go.