Now Foods, Pycnogenol, 60 mg, 50 Veggie Caps

Reviews 3-star

Great for veins & to stimulate natural skin collagen production but IS THIS REAL PYCNOGENOL?

Posted by PurplePegasus on Nov 02, 2012

In the early 90's I received a glossy booklet that explained all about real pycnogenol® which should bear the trademark logo from Horphag Research Ltd and not to be confused with the unregulated 'maritime pine bark' which is said to be less potent. The Now Foods brand carries the logo (a pine tree inside a circle). I am editing this review as I could not spell "Horphag" I did a search and came across a very interesting article called PYCNOGENOL CONTROVERSY which states that Horphag is now using extraction techniques not approved by the French government (France being the only source of true pycnogenol) and the controversy states that, unless the bottle bears the seal of authenticity of Dr. Masquelier then it is the fake pycnogenol and that its extraction process turns this fake antioxidant into a potent oxidant. OUCH! Might explain my lackluster results here! More research by me is needed. My original review: I found myself taking 3 caps per day, along with COQ10 and vitamin E to alleviate the extreme thigh and wrists/arm vein pain that I experience during PMS. I was also diagnosed with high cholesterol due to steroid meds and hoping this will contribute to reversing that. This was not as effective as horsechestnut for my leg vein pain but I've since found out that horsechestnut causes or aggravates liver failure, which is an illness I'm currently treating so I definitely needed something different. My skin does look healthy with smaller pores than in the past but I'm taking a lot of supplements which are beneficial to skin so I can't gauge if it's the pycnogenol® or not. I trust it is working and might try a higher dosage later to see if that works better. Time will tell. No apparent side effects.

Don't notice anything different using this

Posted by Reviewer2790495 on Jul 07, 2010

I love Now Foods' products but I don't notice anything different at all with using this product. I may need a higher dose, I don't know.

Inflamation

Posted by Reviewer3179805 on Jan 22, 2011

I haven't tryed it long enough, and I had taken other products.