• Customer Ratings

Bag does not reseal well; Strong taste

Posted by Non-GMO on Jan 21, 2013

These walnuts are a good value compared to other brands of raw walnuts. Note, though, that Now Foods also has a not organic bag, which in my case was sent accidentally and am only noticing now when my review of it did not go through. So make sure you get the right one and call right away if you do not. Also, be prepared to switch them to another container or ziplock bag to keep them fresh. This bag is supposed to be resealable, but has not functioned properly for me. My recent batch had a strong, bitter taste, which makes me hesitant to order them again. They were relatively crisp and mostly whole halves. I recall them being fine in the past. It may have been due to the non-organic bag being sent to me. I will try them one more time, and update my review accordingly.

Update to Review: "High quality fresh organic walnuts" on Jan 3, 2013

Posted by Reviewer1689881 on Jan 03, 2013

***Original Comment: Mostly halves, few peices, very fresh. Best organic walnuts I have found.***Updated Comment from Jan 3, 2013: This applies to lot # 1526225A, Best By 10/2013. These walnuts are not quite as fresh as I have received in the past. However, they are still of good quality, as good as other organic brands I have tried, they still look good, I do not see any mold, and are still mostly halves. I'll bet they were excellent when they were fresh. I'm going to toast these with a little maple syrup to use on my salads, since they are not quite as enjoyable to eat as they are. I feel sad for the grower, it appears they did their part right. Maybe someone along the supply chain accidentally forgot to rotate their stock, or didn't refrigerate them properly. That is how it appears to me. I would suggest that anyone else with a bad experience post their lot numbers for reference. I have temporarily modified my rating from five stars down to three. Will gladly modify it back to five if the quality issues are resolved by the next time I order these walnuts.

Has become inedible

Posted by Reviewer2597982 on Nov 03, 2012

The two bags I have bought this autumn have been bitter, rancid and inedible, and I had to throw them away. For years this brand always had excellent quality, but there's something wrong now.

Delish!

Posted by Reviewer1516584 on Sep 30, 2012

These walnuts are very good. I keep them in the fridge so they keep fresh longer. Lots of whole walnuts - not too many pieces. Great value!

Not fresh

Posted by Reviewer1259171 on Sep 29, 2012

These walnuts did not taste fresh. I suppose you get what you pay for.

Good quality. Would buy again.

Posted by Reviewer2295193 on Sep 20, 2012

I soak them to reduce phytic acid (which improves digestibility in nuts) and roast them in a moderate oven with ghee and they turn out just wonderful. Great on its own as snacks, in baked goods, or even walnut butter.

Would order again

Posted by lotuspocus on Sep 11, 2012

It's hard to get fresh-tasting walnuts. Most of the stuff I get here taste slightly off and rancid. So I'm glad I found this on iherb. Best of all, it's organic.

Inconsistent quality

Posted by Reviewer1667957 on Sep 07, 2012

I would have written a glowing review of these up until a few days ago when I opened the most recent bags I had ordered. I have been buying these for many months, and I was so impressed with the freshness. I agree with another reviewer that they are much fresher tasting than those in bulk bins, and I even found them to be fresher than the Whole Foods store brand. However, the two bags I most recently received are inedible. All of the walnuts are dark brown, and some show signs of mold. I would like to purchase more of these, but I hesitate based on my most recent experience.

!!

Posted by NurseEmily on Sep 03, 2012

Cant find these anywhere else! Love em, i made key lime pie yesterday...ground these and unsweetened coconut flakes as the crust, amazing

nice product

Posted by 5699484365578879076 on Aug 24, 2012

I grind this and mix in a bowl of cereal. Tastes good.