Now Foods, Tru-Food Vegan, Natural Berry Flavor, 2.2 lbs (1 kg)

« Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next »

Great cheap alternative

Posted by 5494460406381950056 on Mar 05, 2014

Great for people who can't afford Vega, the taste is ok, a bit fake-berry-ish, but nothing unexpected. Grittier than Vega as well, but not unexpected again! I like that it has methyl B12 (Vega has cyano B12). I found myself getting a bit tired of the "berry" taste towards the end. I didn't get as much of a boost from this product, it didn't improve my digestion in the same way as Vega, but if you don't have problems in that area from IBD or antibiotic use or gluten intolerance etc, then this is probably ok to offset some lifestyle stress, but it's no substitute for an improved diet. I also found I could use less Vega, so it ended up going further than this, so the price difference is smaller than it appears.

Good Taste & Ingredients

Posted by bobm128 on Jun 20, 2011

UPDATE: 6/20/2011 I've used this for a few weeks now and am an fan. My digestion tends to be a bit slow and not very strong (don't completely digest food, bloating, nausia, heartburn, etc.). The Tru Vegan sits well on my stomach, I don't feel bloated after eating it, and it keeps me feeling more full than an bowl of cereal & a veggie sausage patty, or a whey protein shake. I bought more and will keep using it. _________________________________________________ I've only started using it but it tastes pretty good, is easy enough to mix, and makes a nice breakfast. I mix one scoop w/ 8oz of almond or rice milk & some water to make it thinner. The shake keeps me pretty full for several hours. I like that its light berry flavor covers the flavor of maca powder I add to my shake. I'll update my review after I've been using it for a few weeks with information about how it's working.

Great formula!

Posted by Reviewer2849306 on Nov 29, 2009

After seeing what alot of health/raw/organic food people put into a smoothie, NOW has really done it with this formula with an easy to mix powder version! Tons of awesome ingredients (70% organic) with superfoods like maca, spirulina, chlorella and the vege proteins etc. Even enzymes and probiotics! The very high fibre is good too. I have CFS and a very sensitive gut - can't tolerate dairy/whey OR soy protein, both make me really sick. However a full dose of this stuff and I feel absolutely fine, meaning it's very low reactive and tolerable. The only thing about it is it's a bit too sweet! Get onto that NOW and I'd say this is one of the best food drinks available :)

The best protein I have ever tried for my weight loss goals

Posted by danarm on Jan 27, 2014

I have tried lots of animal-origin and vegan protein powders so I have experience with this. It is the best protein for my weight loss goals. -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- It has a good berry taste. It's not the best protein I ever tasted (that would be the BSN Syntha-6) but it's an absolutely decent and palatable taste. -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- It fills me up and keeps me feeling full for a very long time. The 2 powders that helped me control my appetite are this one (NOW Tru-Food Vegan) and Ortho Molecular Products Glycemic Foundation, which is very good but also very expensive. -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- After trying many different diets my nutritionist recommended me to keep a 1:1 ratio between protein and carbohydrates. This is the diet I feel best on and I have lost over 50 pounds with it. The NOW Tru-Food Vegan is the best meal replacement for me because it contains that 1:1 ratio. -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- It also contains low-dose (50% RDA) vitamins - which are perfect to take when losing weight. Since high doses of B1 (Thiamine) or B12 (Cobalamine) can trigger a horrible hunger and carb craving, it is best to take low doses of vitamins while dieting. So, because this protein already contains a multivitamin, I have stopped buying my multivitamin (AOR Ortho-Core is the best multivitamin and it's the one I use). Every few days I still take 1-2 AOR Ortho-Core pills for safety (the standard dose of Ortho-Core is 6 pills per day). -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- To make the perfect 350 calorie meal replacement, I mix this powder with: NOW Fruit & Greens PhytoFoods (green drink), Generation UCan SuperStarch (very slow absorbing carbs), ImmunoPro non-denaturated whey (which can boost immunity), MHP Glutamine-SR (helps keep my brain active when in energy deficit), Ribose (which boosts energy and aleviates fatigue) and a bit of Twin Labs MCT Fuel (careful with this one.. it has a lot of calories). Of course, I have to take care how much powder I use to make my drink. -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- If I had to choose only one powder to take (without combining with other powders), this would be it.

Good and Filling

Posted by Reviewer2783615 on Nov 22, 2009

I like this shake. I mix with soy milk or fruit juice and it is very filling. It doesn't have that sour whey flavor of many food shakes. Earthy flavor, grainy texture, can be a little thick (mix in a little extra liquid than the container says). Don't expect "carnation instant breakfast", but give it time to grow on you!

« Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next »