New To iHerb?

Now Foods, Valerian Root, 500 mg, 250 Capsules

Reviews 5-star

LOVE 'em! (but not the smell)

Posted by Reviewer3071228 on Sep 19, 2008

I've always been one to stay up 'til the wee hours of the morning even when I was tired. I also have restless leg syndrome, which exacerbates my insomnia. I was hesitant to use any serious sleep medications, so I thought I'd try valerian (believe it or not, based on the recommendation of a holistic vet). These pills are magic, albeit stinky. I take two before getting into bed and they allow me to simply fall asleep when I'm tired. I've also noticed a marked decrease in my RLS since I'm sleeping better. My teenage son also struggles with the same conditions I do, so I gave the valerian to him (with pediatrician's okay) and he swears by them. Without the extra little calming affect, he'd be up through the night. They are non-addictive and don't really make you sleepy, just allow you to sleep when tired. Highly recommended to all who suffer as we USED TO!

Nighty night

Posted by Reviewer3180222 on Nov 05, 2007

This no frills non standardized supplement does the job.My wife and I use this regularly and find it enhances all phases of sleep. We get to sleep easier and sleep deeper. Great product at a great price.

Valerian Root

Posted by Reviewer1872135 on Apr 23, 2008

Works well for muscle relaxation and stressful times...good sleep aid.

Excellent antacid

Posted by Reviewer3264899 on Jun 03, 2009

I take this herb for the unorthodox purpose of settling my stomach due to hyper acidity. Whenever I get nauseous from acidic gastritis I've had great success taking this herb. There is a dose dependent response as the worse I feel the more capsules I need to take. There have been times when I've lost count but I would estimate to have taken during a couple hour period as many as about 30 of these 500 milligram capsules - I sure felt mellow after that high a dose but still fully functional, alert and clear thinking. Other times I've gotten relief from just a few capsules. While I can't be certain that this herb is acting as an antacid but I think it is a good deduction as I burp and feel a lot better after taking Valerian. Also I don't swallow the capsules but rather chew them up with water in my mouth. I do that with all capsules and tablets as I have a problem with dysphagia (larger food stuffs tent to get stuck in my esophagus). This is one of the grittier herbs - the root must be difficult to clean as there is always some amount of sand or dirt mixed in with the Valerian powder no matter what brand I use.

Now Valarien Root

Posted by Reviewer2438926 on Jul 27, 2014

I have Lyme insomnia - I havent slept unaided for 5 1/2 years now. I rely on valium, a special chinese crystalized herb called Yan Hu suo. Before I crashed with Lyme i had early morning waking for 19 years from the bacrerial infecton and I used to gobble down expemsive mexican valerian to get back to sleepat 4am. Since I discovered iherb(Thankyou iherb - you are an absolute godsend to those of us who spend a fortune on supplements - Im getting alot of my Lyme herbs here too so with out you I wouldnt be surviving),any way I find Nows Valerian capsules just as good as the expensive mexican(which I was told was better) and they help me sleep deeper. They're excellent AND a great price. Im buying alot of Now herbs. Bless - from Australia Tiana