Gifts Best Sellers Specials New Products Product Trials Conditions A-Z

Now Foods, Vitamin A, 25,000 IU, 250 Softgels

Stave off viral infections

Posted by Katherine on Dec 22, 2007

Based on a World Health Organization treatment protocol for measles in young and very young children, I take 100,000 IU vitamin A (not beta carotene, one single dose per day for three days. I've had amazing success fighting off nasal-swab diagnosed influenza in 24 hours and many colds. I use it in combination with lowish dose zinc lozenges, Natural Factors Anti-V and 500 mg vitamin c. The zinc, anti-v and c i take every two hours for a few days. I have been able to fight off, in very short order, every viral illness that has attempted to come my way in the last 2.5 years. It's been amazing. Of course, high doses of vitamin A are not appropriate for anyone who is pregnant or could become pregnant.

CAUTION FOR ASTHMA / LOW IRON - depletes other nutrients and *causes* asthma

Posted by Health-Is-Wealth on Nov 23, 2013

Suggest limited/occasional use only. Vit A increases transferrin - higher doses can be detrimental to anyone low in iron, asthmatics, etc. I do not recommend vit A in this dose because it is too effective - it causes me to get breathless, in a very unpleasant way. I end up having to supplement other things to compensate (when they're normally not necessary). At this dose it's too much of a balancing act - even limited/occasional use, I find it just gets metabolised much too quickly. I want a natural vit A, however it seems impossible to find one in lower doses, especially one that isn't cod. If this review was helpful to you, please click YES below - thank you. For reviews of all the products I have purchased from iHerb, please click my username above.

One of the most overlooked vitamins

Posted by Reviewer3353602 on Nov 03, 2008

Besides the well known protection for the eyes and the brain, it keeps me warm in colder climates. It does not heat the body, but it seem to help to prevent my body from losing warmth.

Great buy. Very necessary supplement.

Posted by Reviewer1052600 on Sep 03, 2008

Best buy I've found on Vitamin A. Only 25,000 IU per capsule that I can still find. I take 8 a day for respiratory problems.

waste of money

Posted by 5280615812874896036 on Sep 14, 2013

"...contains a chemical known to the State of California to cause birth defects or other reproductive harm" says on the bottle. Then it contains soy as well.