Possibly brought down the frequency of my migraines

Posted by Reviewer2415662 on Jun 09, 2011

I ordered these in November 2009, as I had a blood test at the Dr's and was found to be low in vitamin D. I was prescribed a low dose Vit d2/calcium, but after doing a lot of research, I realised that vitamin D3 is much better assimulated by the body (i have digestive problems). I have been very ill with ME and chronic migraines now for 17 years. The migraines last 3 days and come every 1-2 weeks. I didn't keep really accurate records, but I know that over winter last 2009 and up until about May 2010 (the period I was taking this supplement) my migraines became much less frequent. Sometimes it was every 2 weeks, but then often it was every 3, 4 or even 5 weeks between migraines!!! This was miraculous for me, as I have never had this happen before!! This past year has been the most stressful and upsetting year of my life, so I couldn't understand how come the migraines were coming a lot less frequently. It wasn't until I ran out of these D3's that I began wondering if it was them that had made the difference, as the migraines then went back to every 1-2 weeks! As the dr had prescribed vit D/calcium and had sent me to a rheumatologist, I was keen to take the calcium with it as well. I have now started taking another D3 supplement of 5,000iu which includes 100mg of calcium. Also since June 2010 I have suffered with what I now believe to be Perioral Dermatitis around my eyes (red, burning rash). When I was researching it, I read that D3 may help with dermatitis, so I live in hopes!! Update in June 2011: I am still convinced that this vit d supplement helps my migraines. I have taken it now on and off for 1.5 years and each time I run out my migraine frequency increases, as does the severity. There is no real explanation for this, but it does seem to be the case, so I will continue to take them, and periodically have a vitamin d test at the drs. When I first began to take them, I was deficient, but the last test I had done, showed that my levels had increased to what the dr said was within normal range. Upon doing some research though, I realised that I am still towards the lower level of normal, so I will keep taking them. Seemingly.... a God send!!

Now Foods, Vitamin D-3, 5,000 IU, 120 Softgels

Posted by dur260 on Sep 21, 2012

These vitamin D-3 softgels are great because they come with the oil (fat) need to help absord the vitamin D. D-3 is more absorbable than D-2 - so these are great. At 5,000 UI it's a great bargain cost wise; you only need to take one softgel per day. In my experience researching and using supplements, Now Foods is a great brand to choose.

Super Strength

Posted by philbeer on Jun 23, 2012

This Vitamin D supplement is fantastic. It provides a decent enough dose for people like me who dont get to see the sun often enough to provide an adequate source. It takes about 24/48 hours for vitamin D to enter the blood stream after having adequate exposure to the sun, and even then, if you wash with soap, all that good work out in the sun will wash away. It has been said before that placing a drop of the Essential Oil of Orange with Vit D3, will increase its absorption and bring those vitamin D levels back up to standard.

decent vitamin D3 product

Posted by sav430 on Jun 25, 2012

I haven't noticed much difference in vitamin D3 products. I usually order the ones that are sale. This once is cheap and potent. D3 is one of the best things that has happened to my health!

Now Foods Vitamin D3 5000 IU

Posted by Reviewer2844318 on Oct 15, 2008

Nice to have this potency as I take 10,000 IU daily as per doctor's orders.