Gifts Best Sellers Specials New Products Product Trials Conditions A-Z

Source Naturals, Coenzymated B-6, 100 mg, 60 Tablets

Reviews 1-star

High-dose B6 is NOT a long-term strategy for optimum/sustainable health

Posted by Health-Is-Wealth on Feb 10, 2014

I was having issues with NON-coenzymated B6 causing wheezing, headaches and moodiness among other things - regardless of the brand/dose or whatever else I was/wasn't eating/taking. So I thought I'd give coenzymated B6 a try given the number of glowing reviews and good press it receives within the health/nutrition community. However - I had the same issues with half a tablet of this coenzymated B6. B6 is an antagonist of IODINE, SODIUM, MANGANESE, SILICA and COPPER - low levels of these essential nutrients can cause wheezing, headaches and other problems such as hyper/hypothyroidism, hair loss, etc etc. Over time B6 will also raise magnesium which may not be beneficial - magnesium antagonises iodine, silica, manganese, cobalt, sodium, etc. Adding more of these nutrients won't correct the issue. B6 is also an inhibitor of 5-alpha reductase, which can be an issue when activity of this enzyme is low, e.g. other nutrients that also inhibit this enzyme include alpha-linolenic acid, oleic acid, linoleic acid, B2, zinc (think hormonal disorders, hair loss). After some positive results, I did take B6 in the past (in combo with other vit B's) - not excessive doses and not for long periods of time either. However, after struggling to correct the imbalances it caused, I do not recommend it as a long-term strategy for anyone, regardless of issue/reason for taking it - it's simply not designed for long-term use at mega-doses (by mega-dose I mean anything above 10mg per day). If B6 works for you I strongly suggest looking into why rather than continuing long-term use - e.g. if it helps with water retention or hormonal issues, look at other nutrients or areas of diet that might be disrupting these. While B6 might seem like a heaven-sent quick-fix, I'd hate for anyone to go through the same as me after taking B6 for any period of time. If this review was helpful to you, please click YES below - thank you. For reviews of all the products I have purchased from iHerb, please click my username above.