High-dose B6 is NOT a long-term strategy for optimum/sustainable health

Posted by Health-Is-Wealth on Feb 10, 2014

I was having issues with NON-coenzymated B6 causing wheezing, headaches and moodiness among other things - regardless of the brand/dose or whatever else I was/wasn't eating/taking. So I thought I'd give coenzymated B6 a try given the number of glowing reviews and good press it receives within the health/nutrition community. However - I had the same issues with half a tablet of this coenzymated B6. B6 is an antagonist of IODINE, SODIUM, MANGANESE, SILICA and COPPER - low levels of these essential nutrients can cause wheezing, headaches and other problems such as hyper/hypothyroidism, hair loss, etc etc. Over time B6 will also raise magnesium which may not be beneficial - magnesium antagonises iodine, silica, manganese, cobalt, sodium, etc. Adding more of these nutrients won't correct the issue. B6 is also an inhibitor of 5-alpha reductase, which can be an issue when activity of this enzyme is low, e.g. other nutrients that also inhibit this enzyme include alpha-linolenic acid, oleic acid, linoleic acid, B2, zinc (think hormonal disorders, hair loss). After some positive results, I did take B6 in the past (in combo with other vit B's) - not excessive doses and not for long periods of time either. However, after struggling to correct the imbalances it caused, I do not recommend it as a long-term strategy for anyone, regardless of issue/reason for taking it - it's simply not designed for long-term use at mega-doses (by mega-dose I mean anything above 10mg per day). If B6 works for you I strongly suggest looking into why rather than continuing long-term use - e.g. if it helps with water retention or hormonal issues, look at other nutrients or areas of diet that might be disrupting these. While B6 might seem like a heaven-sent quick-fix, I'd hate for anyone to go through the same as me after taking B6 for any period of time. If this review was helpful to you, please click YES below - thank you. For reviews of all the products I have purchased from iHerb, please click my username above.

P5P

Posted by Reviewer1315133 on Mar 08, 2008

I have been using this product for a year now for no 3 year old daughter who has epilepsy. I stopped for a while on the advice of doctors to see what the impact was. And it was dramatic, she become lethargic and had more seizures. When I reintroduced it, it was remarkable, which is always in when I restart. She is alert again, has less seizures and is very bright. I recently put in another order, and this time there was less colouring in which is great as it can get really messy when it is not swallowed straight away. Great product, a bit bitter, but wouldn't be without it. We can't get in the UK, it is delivered within a few days which is very reassuring. Good product and Excellent Company.

Works great!

Posted by Reviewer3119327 on Jul 29, 2009

Really seems to boost the effectiveness of the 5-HTP I use for serotonin production.

Great active version of B6

Posted by Reviewer2164723 on Jan 29, 2012

Many people are unable to convert B6 to the active type of B6, leaving them without B6 for the body. This product gets around it - I know it works as it brought back my long lost dream recall. Essential for neurotransmitter production and conversion.

enhances other amino acid and enzymes

Posted by Reviewer1988592 on Jan 07, 2012

it does work very well, as a caution some people who are very stressed out expect to have sharp pains in those tense areas on the first dose because the body chemistry is adjusting after the 2nd and third dose you will feel relaxed and less tense and no pain. atleast this works as oposed to vitamin supplements that don't. this is also a possible treatment for swelling better than water pills. for elderly people this is a must have vitamin body needs the direct forms/bioavailable forms to get the body energy working properly again. this also enhances 5htp seretonin if you have any kind of myofacial, neural or migraine pain worth trying along with this.

important for candida sufferers

Posted by Reviewer1075408 on Jul 06, 2011

If you have candida b6 can have trouble turning into the biologically active for p5p. I take 2 of these day and they help with energy.

I give this a thumbs up !

Posted by Reviewer1549502 on May 20, 2010

I bought this form of B-6 so that it would go to work right away. Some say no more than 200mg. a day, others say limit to 100mg. a day. In studies, too much B-6 has been shown to cause nerve damage. Take a B-50 complex if needed so as not to end up with a B-vitamin imbalance. As with all things that are taken, follow a physicians' guidance. I also bought this one because there was no citric acid added to the product which tends to irritate my stomach.

Take with Taurine

Posted by Reviewer1991595 on Jun 22, 2010

this specific form of B-6 was recommended to enhance absorption of taurine.

Good value, cant live without them

Posted by Reviewer1176375 on Sep 30, 2011

Need these to help with Pyrole and depression

working good ,but you will gain more body temp.

Posted by Reviewer2291303 on Mar 20, 2011

working good ,but you will gain more body temp.