40-something with noticeable gray hair

Posted by Reviewer2647272 on Nov 08, 2011

I have medium brown hair and first tried the dark brown, then the golden brown Surya Henna color. The dark brown covered gray well but was just a shade too dark for my hair. Then I tried the golden brown and it was the right shade but didn't cover my gray. I knew I was taking a chance though since all the reviews said it highlighted the gray. So, I just tried the light brown today, left it on for 30 minutes and it both covered my gray and left the rest of my hair just a hint darker than my natural color. I love these colors because they are so easy to use. I used a professional stylist to color my hair for years and finally decided to get brave and try these colors, since they have more natural ingredients and it would save me a lot of time and money. My hair is always soft and natural and the color lasts 4-7 weeks in my hair. Love the Surya Henna color!!

Won't go back to chemical dyes!

Posted by Reviewer2661328 on Nov 15, 2008

I am very fortunate as I am 47 and have a minimal amount of gray sprouting. I have brown hair though so it tends to pop out at me in the mirror. I had tried chemical permanent dyes and temporary coloring but never really liked the color that came out on my hair. I also hated having grow lines! Also, my hair is fine and the color as it came out of the box, really didn't seem to last long. In just a week or two normal washing and the sun had faded it to some artificial equivalent. I had read a lot on the use of henna and the different companies that produce natural hair coloring. I settled on Surya in the end. I was extremely thrilled when I tried it. My hair actually absorbed the color much, much better than chemical dyes and I can't believe how long it has lasted. It has lightened a bit but it still looks natural and beautiful. No grow out line!!!! No one can tell that I am nearing 50 because of Iherb's wonderful, natural products. To be fair, my hair is thick, fine, curly and nonoily, so I actually only wash my hair about three times a week to keep from drying it out. The color may not last as long for hair types that have to wash more frequently but I can't see that it would make a great deal of difference. I don't think I was prepared for how well this dye worked. I have always considered myself a light to medium brunette. I left the dye on for 30 minutes and it worked so well that it was darker than I expected. Next time I will go for the 15 minutes and it should be just right!

Best Surya for light brown hair

Posted by Reviewer1533331 on Sep 12, 2013

I used henna for years, but always hesitated to try Surya because of all the ingredients. After a while, I just got tired of maintaining natural henna...the funky smell like the underside of a lawnmower, the rinsing, the mess, the wait. I switched to Surya, or rather I mostly use Surya and sometimes still do real henna. If you are worried about applying Surya to hennaed hair, let me tell you it is no problem. You can alternate with real henna, too, without having green hair or some other henna tragedy (henna users know how the wrong product can gunk up your color). Light brown is good for hair that is light to medium brown, but all the Surya shades I have tried go on darker than expected. This turns my mousy brown hair chestnut, which is a gorgeous color but too dark for my skin. I like to mix it 50/50 with the Ash Blonde.

Fades quickly

Posted by Reviewer2792171 on Apr 06, 2012

Easy to use but the colour only lasts about 2 weeks despite using the Surya conditioner (bought separately) after colouring, but not daily.

Wonderful product!

Posted by Reviewer1190275 on Dec 07, 2008

Safe hair dye that covers grey! Henna is good for your hair, too!

great for gray

Posted by Reviewer1939385 on Jun 03, 2009

covers gray hair. They look like natural high lights. just love it. Very good alternative to chemical hair color products.

Love it

Posted by Reviewer2350819 on Oct 19, 2009

I love this hair Color and it works well on gray hair.

Good Color and Conditioning

Posted by Reviewer1313834 on Jun 20, 2009

This is an easy to use temporary color which has the side benefit of really conditioning my hair. I use a slightly lighter version of my normal hair color. It covers the gray in what looks to me like blond highlights within my dark brown hair. I don't have much gray - silver strands which turn lighter blond/brown with this rinse. I love that it looks natural rather than one solid monotone color. I also like that there's no distinct line as it grows out, so there are no tell-tale roots like permanent colors create. I can usually get two treatments out of one bottle. Great Stuff!

Great Product

Posted by Reviewer1886273 on Jan 04, 2008

I was thoroughly satisfied with this product. I had allergies to other hair care products, but this one saved me from going "gray"!

Fabulous Product

Posted by Reviewer3347351 on Mar 16, 2008

Not only does it color and cover gray beautifully, but there absolutely no chemicals and/or danger in coloring my hair now. I will NEVER use any other hair color product. Even my professional stylist commented on how lovely the color looked.