MD sees the Results of Niacin

Posted by Reviewer1523435 on Jan 09, 2007

I am a doctor and I have seen the results of niacin on cholesterol levels. I have a patient that had a lipid panel of trig = 275, chol = 223, HDL = 34, and LDL = 134 and went to trig = 48, chol = 124, HDL = 49, and LDL = 65. This patient was taking liptor previously to adding niacin to her meds.

Niacin

Posted by Reviewer2241356 on Jun 24, 2008

This is an excellent product. Most Niacin capsules are full of additives that I'm allergic to. This is just Niacin. I take at the direction of my doctor and since switching to this brand, my total cholesterol has dropped to 126 from 165.

excellent product

Posted by Reviewer1002991 on Nov 07, 2008

Love that it doesn't have a lot of additives or fillers. High quality and cost effective. In terms of the negative reviews about the flush - if you haven't taken a lot of niacin before, definitely work up to this dose - I didn't but then I personally think there are benefits to the flush. But it can be disconcerting the first time. I find the flush is less if I take it with vitamin C.

start with a much lower dose

Posted by Reviewer2903766 on Mar 18, 2009

I use this for niacin deficiency. 1/4 of the cap gave me severe flush for 2 hours meaning this is effective and too much for me. I should have started with 50 mg.

Needed high strength

Posted by Reviewer1061325 on Sep 05, 2008

Great product and one of the few high strenght niacin products on the market. Doctor has recommended 3000mg and I find that this is easy to take 3x a day.

What the doctor ordered

Posted by Reviewer1625810 on Oct 16, 2006

The only niacin that is as effective as statins to lower LDL and raise HDL cholesterol and safest for the liver is pure crystaline type. Doctor prescribed amounts are in the multigram range (2,000 mg/day for me). Twinlab is by far the best value. The proof is in my very improved lipid profiles.

Minimal Flush

Posted by Reviewer1860698 on Apr 13, 2009

I've experienced very little to no flushing with these caps and I'm taking them 6 at a time.

Be careful of dosage

Posted by Reviewer1279884 on May 15, 2009

Used for lowering cholesterol niacin can also raise blood sugar and help precipitate gout. This brand obviously works because it not only helped lower my cholesterol (along with red yeast rice) but it did help my blood sugar and precipitate a gout attack.

HDL Booster

Posted by Reviewer3258994 on Sep 11, 2010

All my research made it very clear that the "slow release" or "non-flush" Niacin was much less effective and potentially much more toxic. Go with the flush - it takes a few weeks to build up tolerance (start with smaller doses and move up to the Twinlab 500s first), but 2 of these a day boosted my HDL from the high 30s to the low to mid 60s. It has remained at that level for over a year with no detectable effect on my liver function. Exercise alone would never get my HDL much above 40. It doesn't work for everyone though - my wife followed my example, and it didn't change her HDL much at all.

Powerful stuff

Posted by Reviewer1390426 on Nov 05, 2010

Use with caution. Serious flushing and other side effects common to too much taken at once. I used only 1 pill but mistakenly took on an empty stomach. I will never make that mistake again. Really high quality. have to take only half a capsule at a time.