Sodium selenite

Posted by 4669969159668397036 on Aug 22, 2015

Very happy customer here I am very pleased by your service!

PLEASE BE CAREFUL - May not be suitable for people with thyroid issues. May also lower zinc, magnesium or phosphorus levels

Posted by Health-Is-Wealth on Dec 17, 2013

I've recently tried/reverted to a couple of TwinLab products after trying other brands and realising TwinLab use much less filler - their caps are usually VERY small, which I like. Small caps mean less filler and that means less toxic junk. However - I found this dose simply too much in one cap, and because the caps are very small, they're too hard to pull apart in order to take less. I guess you could say this is very effective (or toxic), because I found it to cause an extremely nasty/flat/lethargic/heavy gravity feeling that rendered me unable to move/sliding down my chair/needing to stay horizontal plus nausea that didn't - start - to go away until I took some iodine and zinc to compensate and the iodine/zinc started to metabolise. It was awful - I felt like rubbish for a good few hours. Note that I take iodine every day and zinc pretty much every day, so it's unlikely I'm deficient. I've successfully been taking 50mcg of a different selenium product and this has never happened before, nor did it happen with a liquid selenate I've tried in the past. The thyroid needs selenium to convert thyroid hormone T4 to T3; selenium and zinc are antagonists (which I knew - as are selenium/magnesium) - so either this is a terrible product that simply doesn't agree with me, or I need much less selenium than 250mcg. Most frustrating - I was really looking forward to trying this because it's the same type that's been used in asthma/inflammation/circadian rhythm studies. I wish TwinLab did a 50 or 100mcg cap - I personally feel that would be ideal, because it'd mean other nutrients don't need to be increased/megadosed to compensate. I just don't understand the megadosing thing within the supplement industry - a lot is seldom better. At this point, I'm highly unlikely to take this one ever again - the reaction was that bad that I won't risk it. I'll stick to food and/or cutting a 100mcg tab in half. Suggestion - if you have a health issue that relies on iodine, zinc, magnesium or phosphorus supplementation or struggle with low levels of any of these nutrients - perhaps avoid this selenium at this dose, or open the caps and try taking less initially. If this review was helpful to you, please click YES below - thank you. For reviews of all the products I have purchased from iHerb, please click my username above.

good

Posted by Reviewer1054227 on May 17, 2013

works

Posted by kanaca on Dec 21, 2012

I take it for thyroid support. Didn't want to take too much, since it's a metal and can build up in system.

Would not order again

Posted by Reviewer1199915 on Jan 29, 2012

Did nothing for me.........would not order again

Selenium

Posted by Reviewer2825425 on Nov 17, 2011

This is a great product.

Sodium Selenite

Posted by noneofyourfrigginbusiness on Oct 19, 2011

If you take selenium to help reduce your risk of cancer, you need to know that not all forms of selenium are equally effective in doing so and that sodium selenite is likely to be more effective than some other forms, including selenomethionine. Selenium has anticarcinogenic effects, which is a major reason why the mineral is taken as a supplement by so many people. A recent paper explains why, in terms of cancer prevention, selenate, selenocysteine, or selenomethionine are less preferable than selenite. The authors explain what they have discovered about how different forms of selenium can exert different cytotoxic effects against cancer cells.

From Washington

Posted by Reviewer1874863 on Mar 02, 2011

Glad to find this non yeast selenium. Great iherb service.

Sodium selenite

Posted by Reviewer2562000 on Sep 03, 2010

Great service to receive this essential mineral in the mail.

good

Posted by Reviewer1164314 on Aug 31, 2010

you can take more tablets of this form selenite

« Previous | 1 2 | Next »