Now Foods, L-Tryptophan, 500 mg, 120 Veggie Caps

Great price for a Great product!

Posted by Reviewer3286239 on Jan 27, 2009

Thank goodness we have L-Tryptophan back on the market! It helps so much to calm your nerves and to "chill out"! I give it to my 16 yr old who has chronic insomnia, and it helps her to settle down and drift off to sleep. I take it to lift my spirits, and it really makes everything seem so trivial. Great product from a GREAT company...iHerb!! Molly in Burnet, TX

Works for our family.

Posted by Reviewer2882318 on Oct 10, 2009

Three family members take this daily. Helps my ADD son get to sleep and stay asleep through the night. My older son works swing-shift and had trouble getting to sleep immediately after work at 1 a.m.. Takes two L-tryptophan and no longer lays there for hours. Makes getting to college classes the next morning much easier. Help with depressing feeling too.

is working great for me

Posted by Reviewer3264351 on Apr 09, 2010

L-Tryptophan has helped me to get off prescription depression medications I was taking : )

Good Quality and Value for Money

Posted by PeterSmithUK on Jul 01, 2011

I have a life-long serotonin deficiency ( depression some hypomania) that I manage more effectively with supplements than drugs. Tryptophan is central to this management. I find one capsule does not do anything (with single amino acids you have to achieve a certain threshold of concentration over and above the general amino acid pool to have an effect). 2-3 capsules last thing at night significantly elevates my serotionin, causing deep sleep and improved mental health the next day. Taken with juice or a little carbohydrate improves effectiness. Continuous daily dosing can over produce serotonin causing daytime drowsiness. Missing out a day regularly prevents this. For me every second day works perfectly. Individulize your own dose your are looking for refreshing sleep and elevated mood without drowsiness the next day. With severe depression you may increase the dose and accept a little drowsiness.

Maybe a good product but not for me

Posted by 4978545617610769518 on Mar 07, 2013

Firstly I bought this product to help me relax and also because the description states “L-Tryptophan is an essential amino acid important in human nutrition for the synthesis of melatonin and serotonin, hormones regulating mood and stress response” I tried one tablet the first night, I had broken sleep and nightmares (which I never usually have) I felt tired and lethargic the next day and was very highly strung, my mood was all over the place from being angry and stressed to crying. Two weeks later I tried a ¼ of the capsule (splitting the powder into another four empty capsules) so not to have such a big dosage, I had the same reaction as above being angry and very emotional, I had to call my mother to help me focus and try to calm down, I was on edge after both episodes for a few days after taking this product. I was very disappointed with L-Tryptophan as I thought it was going to help me with being anxious, not make me worse to the point where I felt I had lost control. I am sure it does help many people, but as we are all different, it didn’t help me but made my situation worse. I also love the NOW foods brand, don’t get me wrong, nearly all my other vitamins are from NOW as they do have a fantastic pure products and I would be lost without the Magnesium Citrate powder in particular and also purchase the C-1000, 250 Tablets and their Amino-9 Essentials Powder.