Solgar, Folate As Metafolin, 800 mcg, 100 Tablets

Excellent activated form most of us need

Posted by Reviewer1872138 on Dec 21, 2008

Sixty percent of people are either heterozygous or homozygous for the MTHFR polymorphism, meaning regular folic acid is not only useless, but potentially harmful because it blocks absorption of the meagre amounts of methyl folate we receive. Methyl folate, as the activated form, completely bypasses this problem. Methyl folate is so important for methylation pathways, and a lack can contribute to depression, elevated homocysteine levels, CFS/ME, fibromyalgia, heart disease, fertility problems, and a host of other degenerative conditions. This product is so important, particularly since most supplements are full of folic acid which as I said above can cause more harm than good. Everyone should be taking this instead. Highly, highly recommended. Thanks for stocking it iHerb!!!

Super nutrition for the 21st century.

Posted by Reviewer1572662 on Feb 05, 2009

A fine product to ward off headaches, malnutrition, and mild depression. Especially effective against high homocysteine levels when combined with TMG and a good all-around B complex vitamin formula.

Excellent Product

Posted by Reviewer1600433 on Jul 22, 2009

My husband drags unless he takes B vitamins daily, and even that is sometimes not enough. I read that adding a large dose of folate helps the other B vitamins be more reactive. I don't know if this is true or not, but thought I may as well try it. My husband says it has made a huge difference in his energy level. Thanks for this product!

Necessary for anyone with high blood pressure.

Posted by Reviewer3100938 on Nov 12, 2010

The American heart Association ran a study showing this reverts high blood pressure. This is the active form of folic acid. I have two gene mutations which prevent me from breaking down folic acid to the active form, causing high blood pressure. This is the solution.

Superior form of methlyfolate

Posted by 5699993330116946412 on Dec 02, 2012

I found this superior to Thorne's 5-MTHF. I tried Thorne's since it's in capsules which I usually prefer but surprising didn't feel the positive effects that had been experiencing with Solgar. I switched back to Solgar and immediately felt better once again. The chemical composition is different and for me at least, made a difference. The Solgar brand really helps my gut inflammation and clears up headaches but for me needs to be taken and kept in balance with methyl b 12 and the other b vitamins. I will crash and experience muscle weakness if taking metafolin alone but it's a tremendous help if I balance it correctly with sublingual methyl b12 and the other b vitamins.